Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Weber Genesis B Silver-Our New Toy

On May 29, 8:20�am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Goomba38 *wrote:
> >> Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver
> >> (although I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3
> >> Stainless Steel burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which
> >> hides the tank from view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of
> >> fixed shelf. And it fits perfectly on the porch.

> > An outdoor grill on the porch??? *Almost guaranteed you will burn your
> > house down. *Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
> > your house and from any other combustable material. *This is not a
> > joke.

> > Sheldon

> I'd have to go with Sheldon on this one. *We have a concrete block house and
> concrete blocks for a "lanai" (if you can even call it that) and my husband
> still drags grills and smokers away to the farthest corner when he's using
> them.
>
> We don't have a gas grill; all of ours are wood-based, but ashes can still
> fly and they do. *I've finally gotten my husband to listen about not wearing
> shoes when he's grilling after he's stepped on enough hot coals. *:~)

Not only do folks have stupid safety habits (it'll never happen to me
attitude) often they are against the law. When your house does burn
down due to subborn stupidity (and eventually it will) and upon
investigation it is discovered that you didn't comply with the
municipal ordinances you will not be able to collect damages under
your insurance policy... and just about every municipality within the
US has ordinances pertaining to use of outdoor grills... your local
fire department will be happy to supply you with a copy.
Unfortunately fire marshalls are notoriously remiss in enforcing
codes... really don't need a fire marshall to come around *after* the
fact... contrary to popular belief fire departments are NOT in the
business of fire _prevention_... as Smokey the Bear says "Only YOU can
prevent a fire!"

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v2i3-508.pdf

Wood decks are highly flammable, even more so with cooking grease
spatter soaking into the wood. Everyone who grills will have flare
ups, adn everyone who grills will occasionally leave the grill
unattended, no exception... only takes as few drops of flaming grease
to dribble out the bottom of a grill to ignite a deck... and I've yet
to see anyone with fire extinguisher near their grill, not even once,
except me. Fire will engulf a wood deck like it was a christmas tree,
within three minutes the entire deck will be ablaze, that will ignite
the house and its intense heat will cause a raging inferno. Every
year people die from grills on decks.

My grill is on the ground. Yes, it's a small chore to decend the four
steps of my deck down to the ground and the six paces away from my
house to the grill, but the worst that will happen if I did leave my
grill unattended is incinerated food.

Sheldon