George Shirley

Default Sauerkraut

wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:09:55 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
>>sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
>>The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the heart
>>(core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only time
>>will tell.
>>

> How do you eat the cores? Just slice and eat? (I'll be
> growing cabbage this year.)
>
> I've always thrown the cores away, but I won't do it anymore
> if we're missing something good....
>
> Pat

We usually eat them raw. Since a head of cabbage, steamed, will feed the
two of us for about four meals we don't have a lot of cores. They have a
slightly peppery taste, aka mild heat to them. The dog will actually
start dancing and begging if she smells the cabbage being cut up.

I have sliced them into rounds and tossed them into the stir fry when
I'm also stir frying chopped cabbage. Stir fried they still have the
crunchy peppery taste. My kids never liked them but DW and I have always
eaten the heart of cabbage, most often as a crunchy snack.

Today I am dehydrating another eight trays of flat leaf parsley. Sat
around last night watching TV, clipping the leaves off and chewing on
the stems. Waste not want not. <BG>

George