George Shirley

Default Sauerkraut

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
>> sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
>> The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the
>> heart (core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only
>> time will tell.
>>
>> Didn't have a clean hammer handle so cut a 18 inch piece of new
>> one-inch quarter round, whittled a handle on one end and used that to
>> compress the cabbage. Roughly two and one-half quarts per head.
>>
>> George
>>

> You didn't use a hammer handle? Uh oh....
>
> :-) The cabbage loopers ate all my cabbage in the garden last year. I
> bought 5 big heads of cabbage today for 15 cents/pound for making
> sauerkraut. This is the first cabbage I've seen for less than 30 cents
> in about 5 or 6 years. They average 4.5 pounds each; I wish they were
> whiter but they are really green. Maybe they'll be nice and pale when I
> peel the outer leaves off.

I have the answer to cabbage loopers - Bt, Bacillus thuringea (sp?). I
spray the baby plants and then every two weeks and sooner if it rains.
Soon as them little caterpillars taste it they get kilt daid by the
bacteria, which does no harm to humans. The bug zapper light I hang out
by the garden does its part too. Doesn't bother skeeters or beneficial
pests but attracts the cabbage moth and flying termites by the jillion.
Usually have to go out and clean the wires off the next day. Only need
it every other year or so and the looper were no where in sight this winter.

> I think I'll try using half-gallon jars and Ball plastic lids this time.
>
> I have beef jerky in the dehydrator. I made some last week, and
> Daughter said it wasn't good enough to give away. She was right; it
> sucked, and I don't know why. I guess the meat wasn't very good.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I have some gallon jars and plastic lids but thought I would go with the
quart jars this time. If it works as advertised then next winter I will
do a couple of gallons.

I have two Tatume squash on the shelf under lights here in my office and
both are only about six inches high but have three or four male flowers
each. Better warm up soon outside or I may have a new houseplant taking
over the room.

George