zxcvbob

Default Sauerkraut

George Shirley wrote:

> Just salted and set up 7 quarts of kraut using Bob's method. They're
> sitting in the dark in the pantry now with the lids loosely fastened.
> The ten lbs of cabbage was three heads out of our garden with the heart
> (core) removed. We ate the hearts, even the dog likes them. Only time
> will tell.
>
> Didn't have a clean hammer handle so cut a 18 inch piece of new one-inch
> quarter round, whittled a handle on one end and used that to compress
> the cabbage. Roughly two and one-half quarts per head.
>
> George

You didn't use a hammer handle? Uh oh....

:-) The cabbage loopers ate all my cabbage in the garden last year. I
bought 5 big heads of cabbage today for 15 cents/pound for making
sauerkraut. This is the first cabbage I've seen for less than 30 cents in
about 5 or 6 years. They average 4.5 pounds each; I wish they were whiter
but they are really green. Maybe they'll be nice and pale when I peel the
outer leaves off.

I think I'll try using half-gallon jars and Ball plastic lids this time.

I have beef jerky in the dehydrator. I made some last week, and Daughter
said it wasn't good enough to give away. She was right; it sucked, and I
don't know why. I guess the meat wasn't very good.

Best regards,
Bob