Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default chicken leg flavouring

monrae fordi wrote:
> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

1) Peel the skin back, sprinkle with "hickory smoked salt", put the skin
back. Bake on a rack so they don't get soggy.

2) Remove some of the excess fat from the chicken. Soak a few dried New
Mexico peppers (seeded) and Ancho peppers (especially need to be seeded)
in hot water. Grind to a paste in the blender along with the soaking
water, a chicken bouillon cube, some oregano, and garlic. Pour over the
chicken. Slice some onions over the top if you like onions. Bake *not*
on a rack. Serve with warm tortillas, grated cheese, sour cream, etc.

If you don't have dried peppers, a big can of medium or hot green
enchilada sauce would probably work instead of the
pepper/bouillon/oregano/garlic paste.