Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chicken leg flavouring

Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
on) in the oven.

Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"monrae fordi" > wrote in message
> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

Marinade infuses the flavor in a way that sauce cannot. Just pick a sauce
and
dump it on after they're baked, if that's what you want to do.

I "oven broil" my chicken pieces, at temps that would burn up any sauce
added while cooking, so I can't help you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:
> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

1) Peel the skin back, sprinkle with "hickory smoked salt", put the skin
back. Bake on a rack so they don't get soggy.

2) Remove some of the excess fat from the chicken. Soak a few dried New
Mexico peppers (seeded) and Ancho peppers (especially need to be seeded)
in hot water. Grind to a paste in the blender along with the soaking
water, a chicken bouillon cube, some oregano, and garlic. Pour over the
chicken. Slice some onions over the top if you like onions. Bake *not*
on a rack. Serve with warm tortillas, grated cheese, sour cream, etc.

If you don't have dried peppers, a big can of medium or hot green
enchilada sauce would probably work instead of the
pepper/bouillon/oregano/garlic paste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"monrae fordi" > wrote in
:

> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the
> skin on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just
> put on the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a
> marinade. Thanks.

Commercial BBQ Sauce.

or

1/2 cup miracle whip or mayo (whatever your preference)
[or plain yogurt]
2 tbsps dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey (2 tsp if using miracle whip or it's too sweet)
garlic powder to taste...optional
lemon pepper to taste ...optional

mix well
I've added at times a little hot sauce for extra zip.

should work for about 6 legs...resize recipe as required.

or

A honey, minced garlic, soy sauce mixture works well too. As a glaze.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"monrae fordi" > wrote in message
> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

Check out the simple recipe below. At outdoor festivals around here, people
stand in line forever to get chicken cooked this way.

http://www.roadsidefans.com/chicken.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"monrae fordi" > wrote:

> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

Barbecue sauce. Any bottled sauce that suits your fancy. Or a simple
homemade sauce. Soy sauce bases are generally pleasant with chicken.

-Barb, from the Houston airport waiting for a flight to Lake Charles.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"monrae fordi" > wrote

> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

I happen to like a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and oregano.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:

> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

I use salt, pepper and paprika and rub them with a little olive oil. Bake
them in a covered pan for about 40 minutes and then remove the cover and
cook until done..... which depends on the size.

Marinades are not a heck of a lot of work and are often well worth the
effort. If the legs are small I like to use a Tandoori marinade. Just mix
some Tandoori powder with yoghurt, lemon juice (or vinegar), a little salt
and some vegetable oil. Remove the skin and pierce to the bone in several
spots. Marinate 8 hours or overnight and cook in a very hot oven. The
results are tasty and very tender. You can prepare them the night before
and they are ready to go anytime you are want them to go into the oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:05:02 GMT, "monrae fordi"
> wrote:

>Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
>on) in the oven.
>
>Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
>the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
>Thanks.

I roasted chicken breasts (with skin and on the bone) last night and I
simply used a bundle of McCormicks 'hickory smoke' BBQ seasoning and
some onion powder and pepper liberally sprinkled over the top of the
chicken, and they came out fantastic! No work at all, and DH loved
them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Monrae,

I broil chicken legs the following way:

Wash chicken in cold water, drain and dry thoroughly (can use paper towel to absorb moisture)
If you like extra crispy skin, arrange chicken pieces on a rack in a cookie pan and dry in fridge for 24
hours.

Lightly brush both sides of the chicken legs with a vegetable oil, I use olive oil.

Sprinkle on a good quality seasoning salt, I use Back Eddy's which I find to be more season than salt.
http://www.backeddys.com/

Dribble a hot sauce over both sides of legs to taste, I use Tabasco mostly.

Place legs on a rack in a pan skin side down and place in oven, I use the 2nd to bottom oven rack position.

In my oven it takes about 15 minutes until they need to be turned over and then about 10 minutes until
finished.
Golden crispy skin. Watch carefully to avoid burning.

This is as easy as it gets and chicken is juicy, tasty and tender with a great crispy skin.

David.

"monrae fordi" > wrote in message ...
> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on the top of them. I dont want the
> extra work of steeping in a marinade. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

monrae fordi wrote:
> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
> on) in the oven.
>
> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
> the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
> Thanks.

If you don't have a lot of spices available, I'd use one of the following:

Celery salt
Lawry's Seasoned salt
Poultry seasoning

I've also had chicken basted with Ken's raspberry-pecan salad dressing
at a friend's house and it was quite good.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> If you don't have a lot of spices available, I'd use one of the following:
>
> Celery salt
> Lawry's Seasoned salt
> Poultry seasoning

I'd recommend Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt Blend.
Lacking that, I'd make a mix of salt, pepper,
and fresh rosemary trimmed from a hedge.
Rosemary is commonly used for hedges.

I'd consider spreading butter over the skin
before baking/roasting.

> I've also had chicken basted with Ken's raspberry-pecan
> salad dressing at a friend's house and it was quite good.

I'd stay away from any liquid coating
if you want a crispy skin. I'd stick
to salt and dry spices (and maybe butter).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:05:02 GMT, "monrae fordi"
> wrote:

>Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
>on) in the oven.
>
>Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
>the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.

Lawry's seasoning salt
Cajun spice -- Zatarain's or Tony Chachere's
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs
> (leaving the skin in the oven.

> Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour
> to just put on the top of them. I dont want the extra work of
> steeping in a marinade.

Frank's hot sauce?

Or any bottled BBQ sauce that you like?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:05:02 GMT, "monrae fordi"
> wrote:

>Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
>on) in the oven.
>
>Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
>the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade

Salt and lemon pepper
Teriyaki sauce

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:05:02 GMT, "monrae fordi" > wrote:

>Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
>on) in the oven.
>
>Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
>the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
>Thanks.

This one's my SOP with chicken

Shake N' Bake Chicken

Serves: 4-6
Prep. Time: 0:30 - 0:55

2/3 cup crushed plain corn flakes
1 Tbls. whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. dried minced onion
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ground mustard seed
1 dash granulated sugar
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. chicken pieces

-Shake together first 7 ingredients in a large sealable plastic bag.
-Drizzle oil over dry mixture; seal bag and shake to mix.
-Shake chicken pieces, 1 - 2 piece at a time, in mixture.
-Place coated chicken on an ungreased baking sheet.
-Bake chicken in a 400 degree oven until juices run clear, about 20 minutes for
boneless chicken and 45 minutes for bone-in chicken.

If you're going to be doing a lot of chicken I'd say multiply the recipe by eight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:05:02 GMT, "monrae fordi"
> wrote:

>Complete beginner is going to cook lots of chicken legs (leaving the skin
>on) in the oven.
>
>Would someone please advise me on a simple sauce or flavour to just put on
>the top of them. I dont want the extra work of steeping in a marinade.
>Thanks.

The following recipe is a simple tasty coating, rather than a sauce.
Try it. It looks easy and it is, but it's also tasty.

HONEYED CHICKEN
chicken pieces
blob butter
1 tablespoon honey (melt if thick)
1tsp curry powder
1tsp prepared mustard
salt

Melt butter and honey in mixing bowl immersed in hot water. Add rest
of ingredients.
Brush on chicken pieces.
Bake 1 hour 160C.
Baste several times during cooking.