sw

Default Bel Cream Maker

Bob Pastorio > wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
> > Bob Pastorio wrote:
> >
> >>This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> >>looking for one or more to buy or trade.

> > I heard of something like that some years ago...
> >
> > Would the cream be homogenized, though or separate easily?

> Dunno. Looking to see what it actually produced. Science project.
>
> > Then again, if clotted/devonshire cream or creme fraiche is your goal it
> > wouldn't matter much I guess.

> Right. But I'm trying to work backward from butter and milk to make
> cream.

From _Jane Grigson's Fruit Book_
-----------------------------------
To make 500ml generous 3/4pt scant 2 cups Emergency Cream

250g or 1/2lb or 1 cup unsalted butter, or half unsalted, half lightly
salted

300ml or 1/2pt or 1 1/4 cups milk

1 level tsp gelatine

Cut the butter into small chunks, place in small, heavy pan and pour on
the milk. Heat gently, stirring, until the butter has melted: it must
not boil. Sprinkle on the gelatine and stir until dissolved. If you kept
the heat low enough, you can liquidize or process the mixture
immediately for 30 seconds, otherwise allow to cool to tepid/cold, and
then process/liquidize. Chill several hours/overnight before beating. If
you want pouring cream, increase the quantity of milk (no suggestions
given).

She says the result can be used discreetly when making fools, ice cream,
or mousse of strong-tasting fruits (presumably it lacks some of the
flavour of Real Cream), or can be stirred into sauces to finish. I
haven't tried the recipe, but if she recommended it, it will work.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.