Posted to rec.food.cooking
markm75 markm75 is offline

Default Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc?

On May 12, 4:34 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "markm75" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On May 11, 3:22 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> >> "markm75" > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> >> Charcoal is hotter, which is what you need if you want to grill
> >> a 1.5" steak "char rare". You can't do that on a gas grill, unless it
> >> has an infrared burner. I have a Weber Silver Genesis B and a Weber
> >> Performer side by side, and I use the latter 75% of the time, to char
> >> the steak. I think for larger roasts, like turkey and standing rib, the
> >> charcoal
> >> grill is much better than gas, when you grill indirectly and add wood.
> >> However as I am hitting the geezer phase if life, and grilling more
> >> chicken
> >> and fish, and getting lazy, I use the gas more and more. However when I
> >> want
> >> wood
> >> flavor, I always use the charcoal grill.

> >> Good Luck in you quest,

> >> Kent, with humility, always struggling with my level of ignorance in all
> >> matters,- Hide quoted text -

> > Curious on your weber performer.. do you have the newer model which
> > uses disposable tanks of propane? If so.. did you find a way to rig
> > those or use regular refillable propane tanks with the new weber
> > model?

> > Or is it even worth the fuss to try to convert the unit to be able to
> > refill the propane.. ie: I think a new bottle is only around $3 and
> > should last 12-24 starts?

> > Cheers

> I have the older model with the 5lb refilleable tank, attached to the grill,
> a plus, because you can move the grill around. In another group, a poster
> pointed
> out that Weber makes a hose that couples their smaller grills that use
> disposable
> propane cartridges to a 20lb tank.http://www.webergrillschicago.com/do...pter_hose.html
> The product info does't say this will couple with the Performer, though I'm
> guessing it
> would. Also, since it's not attached to the grill, it would be more
> difficult to move the
> grill around if you do that at all.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the link.. I'll have to do some checking and see if it will
work on the performer.

So when you use the refillable tanks.. do you just take them to a gas
station that has propane and fill em back up there? Whats the typical
cost?

Also.. where does everyone buy their lump style charcoal at? I only
seem to see briquettes in the stores...