Posted to rec.food.cooking
Buddy[_2_] Buddy[_2_] is offline

Default Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavorbars etc?

markm75 so bravely stated:
> On May 10, 2:41 pm, Buddy <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
>> markm75 so bravely stated:
>>

>>> I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
>>> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...
>>> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
>>> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...
>>> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
>>> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
>>> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
>>> on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..
>>> So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
>>> bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...
>>> Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
>>> can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
>>> closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?
>>> I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
>>> mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...
>>> Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
>>> price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

>> Gas Grill - easy & quick.
>> Charcoal - better & slow.
>> Hardwood -hickory, apple, mesquite - best & slowest
>>
>> I have a gas grill. The best thing about it is it's ready for quick use
>> when I want it. But if I've got the time ....
>>
>> --
>> You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
>> the bubbles stop.
>> -
>> ><<XX>:> Buddy- Hide quoted text -

> So the flavored devices dont help much on gas i take it ?
>
> I guess I dont see why cook on gas grills outside if the taste isnt
> there.. I mean, I have a foreman style grill inside.. would the gas
> not be better than at least this? To me, I'd image there wouldnt be
> much difference, flavor devices aside?
>
> Cheers

Wars have been started over the question of which is the best way to
grill. But I don't think the GF grill is in the same category as a gas
or charcoal grill. Good grilling means smoke, like Sheldon says, from
the fat dripping on something that might even ignite it. With a gas
grill, you can isolate your flame from the dripping fats so you don't
set your food on fire. However, charcoal requires more finesse and most
of the time, the 'fire' is at it's best after folks are done grilling.

I would recommend never using charcoal lighter fluid or one-match types
as you have to burn off the hydro-carbons first and the fluid can be
dangerous when mixed with alcohol (in the griller, not the grill.) So, I
recommend using the tool that looks like a bit of stovepipe to get the
charcoal started. A sheet of newspaper wadded in the bottom sets it off
and your ready to grill in 20 minutes.

Gas or charcoal, you can use water soaked wood chips to get a wood-smoke
flavor, but then that's why real BBQ's use hardwood in the first place ;-)