Posted to rec.food.cooking
markm75 markm75 is offline

Default Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc?

On May 10, 5:01 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On May 10, 2:08?pm, markm75 > wrote:
>
> > I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> > wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

> > I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> > things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

> > But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> > use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> > the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> > on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

> Charcoal imparts no taste per se... the idea of using lump charcoal
> for grilling is that it imparts no taste, whereas briquettes contain
> lots of substances that do impart flavor, bad flavor. Gas grills
> impart no taste either. Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the same
> flavor by the same method, by fat dripping onto the hot coals or hot
> lava rocks or hot metal flavor bars... whatever the method the flavor
> is from the smoke created from burning fat. With both gas and lump
> charcoal to impart wood flavor one must employ smoke from smoldering
> chips of various aromatic woods... real charcoal is no longer wood, it
> cannot impart any wood flavor.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal
>
> Sheldon

Sorry, not sure if i followed what you were implying there..

Your saying with a gas grill, even with the lava rocks or other
devices, there will be no added taste or flavor only using a real
charcoal grill will this effect occur?

I guess this bounces back to what I am wondering.. Gas grill = same
taste as in house foreman style grill?