Posted to rec.food.cooking
markm75 markm75 is offline

Default Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc?

On May 10, 2:41 pm, Buddy <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
> markm75 so bravely stated:
>

> > I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> > wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

> > I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> > things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

> > But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> > use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> > the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> > on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

> > So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
> > bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...

> > Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
> > can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
> > closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?

> > I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
> > mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...

> > Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
> > price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

> Gas Grill - easy & quick.
> Charcoal - better & slow.
> Hardwood -hickory, apple, mesquite - best & slowest
>
> I have a gas grill. The best thing about it is it's ready for quick use
> when I want it. But if I've got the time ....
>
> --
> You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
> the bubbles stop.
> -
> ><<XX>:> Buddy- Hide quoted text -

So the flavored devices dont help much on gas i take it ?

I guess I dont see why cook on gas grills outside if the taste isnt
there.. I mean, I have a foreman style grill inside.. would the gas
not be better than at least this? To me, I'd image there wouldnt be
much difference, flavor devices aside?

Cheers