Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Rick F. Rick F. is offline

Default Dinner tonight

On 2007-05-08, VegA > wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:23:24 -0400, Dan > wrote:
> SNIP
>
>>I used to use Mesquite and Hickory for everything until I read that
>>Mesquite had a rather strong taste. I never noticed it until I switched
>>to a mix of cherry and hickory - what a difference! The smoked potatos
>>with chili sound great! You might want to give the cherry (or maybe
>>apple) a shot particularly with items like potatos and fish that can be
>>quickly overpowered by smoke compared to a brisket or pork shoulder.

> I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate apple! The only thing I
> like it with is brown trout. LOL. Just too damn fruty for my taste. I
> like hickory and Mesq. on beef, I just perfer Mesq. for pork. I think
> it is sweeter. That's me. I like cherry with steaks. I perfer Alder
> for turkey.
>
> Ever try JD oak? GREAT stuff! It's made from the oak casks they age JD
> in. I havn't seen that stuff in years

I just used regular oak on some beef ribs I did last week and I'll have
to admit that either the smoke was very faint or perhaps I'm just getting
used to it.. I've never liked Mesquite smoke as it's too strong, and
have not tried hickory (to my knowledge), but am now finding that Oak
(my only current non-fruit wood -- gotten from a friends removed oak tree)
is not as strong a flavor as I'd like. I might have to get a small bag
of hickory to try out and see if the rest of the family likes it as well
or not.