Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

Default Dinner tonight

VegA wrote:
> Cheap and easy night!
>
> Fired up the smoker with some nice mesq and hick. Got the temp stable
> at 375. Oiled up, salted and forked some holes on 4 baking potatos and
> cooked them in the smoker for about an hour.
>
> Split each spud on a plate, poured on some home made chilli, topped
> them with some sharp chedder/Jack, nuked them for 1 1/2 min. to melt
> the cheese.
>
> Simple, quick, and filling. Tasty too!
>
> If you live anywhere near Crystal Lake Il. and smelled some smoke you
> should have followed your nose!
>
> lol

I used to use Mesquite and Hickory for everything until I read that
Mesquite had a rather strong taste. I never noticed it until I switched
to a mix of cherry and hickory - what a difference! The smoked potatos
with chili sound great! You might want to give the cherry (or maybe
apple) a shot particularly with items like potatos and fish that can be
quickly overpowered by smoke compared to a brisket or pork shoulder.

I lived around Crystal Lake for many, many years - Cary, McHenry,
Woodstock. I can't believe how much has changed when I visit once, or
twice, a year. That interchange at 14 & 31 is nothing like it was 12
years ago when I moved to FL.

Dan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-05-08, VegA > wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:23:24 -0400, Dan > wrote:
> SNIP
>
>>I used to use Mesquite and Hickory for everything until I read that
>>Mesquite had a rather strong taste. I never noticed it until I switched
>>to a mix of cherry and hickory - what a difference! The smoked potatos
>>with chili sound great! You might want to give the cherry (or maybe
>>apple) a shot particularly with items like potatos and fish that can be
>>quickly overpowered by smoke compared to a brisket or pork shoulder.

> I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate apple! The only thing I
> like it with is brown trout. LOL. Just too damn fruty for my taste. I
> like hickory and Mesq. on beef, I just perfer Mesq. for pork. I think
> it is sweeter. That's me. I like cherry with steaks. I perfer Alder
> for turkey.
>
> Ever try JD oak? GREAT stuff! It's made from the oak casks they age JD
> in. I havn't seen that stuff in years

I just used regular oak on some beef ribs I did last week and I'll have
to admit that either the smoke was very faint or perhaps I'm just getting
used to it.. I've never liked Mesquite smoke as it's too strong, and
have not tried hickory (to my knowledge), but am now finding that Oak
(my only current non-fruit wood -- gotten from a friends removed oak tree)
is not as strong a flavor as I'd like. I might have to get a small bag
of hickory to try out and see if the rest of the family likes it as well
or not.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8 May, 00:32, VegA > wrote:
> Cheap and easy night!
>
> Fired up the smoker with some nice mesq and hick. Got the temp stable
> at 375. Oiled up, salted and forked some holes on 4 baking potatos and
> cooked them in the smoker for about an hour.
>
> Split each spud on a plate, poured on some home made chilli, topped
> them with some sharp chedder/Jack, nuked them for 1 1/2 min. to melt
> the cheese.
>
> Simple, quick, and filling. Tasty too!
>
> If you live anywhere near Crystal Lake Il. and smelled some smoke you
> should have followed your nose!
>
> lol

I've not tried smoking. I use a Cobb bbq which has a moat that I pour
wine into. With a few herbs it makes the meat taste great.

However, I like the ideas so I'll be giving it a try soon. I'll let
you know how it goes.

John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:23:24 -0400, Dan > wrote:
SNIP

>I used to use Mesquite and Hickory for everything until I read that
>Mesquite had a rather strong taste. I never noticed it until I switched
>to a mix of cherry and hickory - what a difference! The smoked potatos
>with chili sound great! You might want to give the cherry (or maybe
>apple) a shot particularly with items like potatos and fish that can be
>quickly overpowered by smoke compared to a brisket or pork shoulder.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate apple! The only thing I
like it with is brown trout. LOL. Just too damn fruty for my taste. I
like hickory and Mesq. on beef, I just perfer Mesq. for pork. I think
it is sweeter. That's me. I like cherry with steaks. I perfer Alder
for turkey.

Ever try JD oak? GREAT stuff! It's made from the oak casks they age JD
in. I havn't seen that stuff in years

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 08 May 2007 20:31:21 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:

snip
>I just used regular oak on some beef ribs I did last week and I'll have
>to admit that either the smoke was very faint or perhaps I'm just getting
>used to it.. I've never liked Mesquite smoke as it's too strong, and
>have not tried hickory (to my knowledge), but am now finding that Oak
>(my only current non-fruit wood -- gotten from a friends removed oak tree)
>is not as strong a flavor as I'd like. I might have to get a small bag
>of hickory to try out and see if the rest of the family likes it as well
>or not.

Thats the wonderful thing about cue, you get to try sooooo many ways,
woods, types of food, sides, it's almost endless. And you get to meet
all sorts of people that also love cue. And if your a cue lover, you
can't be all bad! LOL

I also found that most cue lovers also love beer! Whats' not to love!

I think over time you tend to stick with what you like and what works
for you. That said, there is always something to learn about cue

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Dan is offline

VegA wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 19:23:24 -0400, Dan > wrote:
> SNIP
>
>> I used to use Mesquite and Hickory for everything until I read that
>> Mesquite had a rather strong taste. I never noticed it until I switched
>> to a mix of cherry and hickory - what a difference! The smoked potatos
>> with chili sound great! You might want to give the cherry (or maybe
>> apple) a shot particularly with items like potatos and fish that can be
>> quickly overpowered by smoke compared to a brisket or pork shoulder.

> I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate apple! The only thing I
> like it with is brown trout. LOL. Just too damn fruty for my taste. I
> like hickory and Mesq. on beef, I just perfer Mesq. for pork. I think
> it is sweeter. That's me. I like cherry with steaks. I perfer Alder
> for turkey.
>
> Ever try JD oak? GREAT stuff! It's made from the oak casks they age JD
> in. I havn't seen that stuff in years

I've read about it but never seen it in a store.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

VegA wrote:

> Ever try JD oak? GREAT stuff! It's made from the oak casks they age JD
> in. I havn't seen that stuff in years

They chop the casks up and make little bags of chips. Wally World has 'em.
At the end of the season I buy up a half-dozen or so bags, and have enough
for the next year. I use them on my grills and on my propane smoker, and
they give a real nice smoke flavor (not to mention JD) to the meat.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"