Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default How to do chicken right.

raymond wrote:

> I do chicken on my Weber gas grill. I do not like Italian or any other
> marinade. I baste it constantly as it cooks with melted butter and I
> turn it often. Takes about 45 minutes, with the wings coming off
> first, then the legs, then the thighs, and finally the breasts. It's a
> lot of work, but of the dozens of ways I have tried to grill chicken,
> this is the best I have found. The result is moist all through,
> including the breasts which tend to dry out with other methods I have
> used. My chicken gets rave reviews from my family and guests.

I use an offset smoker, though my technique should work in an R2D2. I
cut a chicken in half, allowing 1 chicken for every 3 people. Your
friends may be piggier than mine, or not as piggy.

I wash and pat dry the chickens, and then sprinkle the bird with a
generous amount of salt and black pepper.

At that point, I put them in the offset smoker, skin side down, at 250F,
measured at the grill.

I leave them in there about 1 1/2 hours. They are nicely done, the skin
is still crisp and they have a very nice smoky taste with the salt and
pepper really working well.

No marinades. No basting. No hassle. Just good bird.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
Proper
Distance
To him was bunk
They pulled him out