Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How to do chicken right.

Hi,

In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their chicken.
Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken, and to be frank I
have only found one way to do chicken that's been successful in my R2D2
style smoker/grill and that is "beer can chicken" without adding any wood
chips for smoke chips at all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using
my gas grill which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.

What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have it
taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?

Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
> discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their chicken.
> Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken, and to be frank I
> have only found one way to do chicken that's been successful in my R2D2
> style smoker/grill and that is "beer can chicken" without adding any wood
> chips for smoke chips at all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using
> my gas grill which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.
>
> What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have
> it
> taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
> the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
> the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
> recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
> but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?
>
> Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,
>
> --
> //ceed

?
?
What the hell is R2D2???

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "ceed" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
> > discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their
> > chicken. Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken,
> > and to be frank I have only found one way to do chicken that's been
> > successful in my R2D2 style smoker/grill and that is "beer can
> > chicken" without adding any wood chips for smoke chips at all.
> > Actually, it seems I might as well be using my gas grill which
> > works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average. What I would
> > like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and
> > have it
> > taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a
> > little on the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It
> > doesn't complement the flavor in the same way it does for other
> > meat. Some people here recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for
> > chicken. I've got some of that, but I do not know when to add it,
> > while in the smoker/grill or after? Thank you in advance for advice
> > and/or pointers,
> >
> > --
> > //ceed

> ?
> ?
> What the hell is R2D2???

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

You're welcome.

BOB
HINT:
It's a smoker that looks similar to what is in the pictures @ the link above

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:37:23 -0700, Kent wrote:

> "ceed" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
>> discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their chicken.
>> Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken, and to be frank I
>> have only found one way to do chicken that's been successful in my R2D2
>> style smoker/grill and that is "beer can chicken" without adding any wood
>> chips for smoke chips at all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using
>> my gas grill which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.
>>
>> What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have
>> it
>> taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
>> the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
>> the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
>> recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
>> but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,
>>
>> --
>> //ceed

> ?
> ?
> What the hell is R2D2???

C-3PO 'S Buddy......

--
DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"DavidG-" > wrote in message

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:37:23 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
> > "ceed" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
> > > discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their
> > > chicken. Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken,
> > > and to be frank I have only found one way to do chicken that's
> > > been successful in my R2D2 style smoker/grill and that is "beer
> > > can chicken" without adding any wood chips for smoke chips at
> > > all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using my gas grill
> > > which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.
> > >
> > > What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2
> > > and have it
> > > taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a
> > > little on the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It
> > > doesn't complement the flavor in the same way it does for other
> > > meat. Some people here recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for
> > > chicken. I've got some of that, but I do not know when to add it,
> > > while in the smoker/grill or after?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,
> > >
> > > --
> > > //ceed

> > ?
> > ?
> > What the hell is R2D2???

> C-3PO 'S Buddy......
>
> --
> DavidG-

LOL!

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 26, 5:25 am, " BOB" > wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>

> > "ceed" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > > Hi,

> > > In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
> > > discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their
> > > chicken. Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken,
> > > and to be frank I have only found one way to do chicken that's been
> > > successful in my R2D2 style smoker/grill and that is "beer can
> > > chicken" without adding any wood chips for smoke chips at all.
> > > Actually, it seems I might as well be using my gas grill which
> > > works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average. What I would
> > > like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and
> > > have it
> > > taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a
> > > little on the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It
> > > doesn't complement the flavor in the same way it does for other
> > > meat. Some people here recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for
> > > chicken. I've got some of that, but I do not know when to add it,
> > > while in the smoker/grill or after? Thank you in advance for advice
> > > and/or pointers,

> > > --
> > > //ceed

> > ?
> > ?
> > What the hell is R2D2???

> http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...e=UTF-8&um=1&s...
>
> You're welcome.
>
> BOB
> HINT:
> It's a smoker that looks similar to what is in the pictures @ the link above- Hide quoted text -

A brinkman Gourment or Cajun Cooker.
A barrel with a dome lid.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> BOB
>> HINT:
>> It's a smoker that looks similar to what is in the pictures @ the link
>> above- Hide quoted text -

> A brinkman Gourment or Cajun Cooker.
> A barrel with a dome lid.

Thanks, I wouldn't have figured that out.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have it
> taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
> the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
> the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
> recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
> but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?
>
> Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,
>
> --
> //ceed

I do my chicken 2 ways; for bbq/grill I cut chicken in half, marinade
in Italian dressing then smoke for an hour, hour and a half. Then
finish on the grill with whatever sauce I'm in the mood for.
For smoked chicken, when I don't intend to eat the skin, I use the Fat
Man's brine overnight and smoke 3 to 4 hours. The results are always
perfect for chicken salad, wraps, burritos/tacos, pasta, and salads.

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

If your particular smoker does not have a water pan, I would suggest
finding a means to put on just above the charchol.
Don

On Apr 25, 11:04 am, ceed > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
> discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their chicken.
> Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken, and to be frank I
> have only found one way to do chicken that's been successful in my R2D2
> style smoker/grill and that is "beer can chicken" without adding any wood
> chips for smoke chips at all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using
> my gas grill which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.
>
> What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have it
> taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
> the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
> the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
> recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
> but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?
>
> Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,
>
> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

My first R2D2 was a Brinkman, as I recall. The problem was that the
cylinder had no lip around it to keep it round. Getting the top onto
the cylinder was difficult. The second one had solved the problem with
a stamped ring into which the lid fit.

As with the other comment, a water pan is important, IMHO. I cooked
some decent food on the old R2D2's back then, including a couple
Thanksgiving turkeys and some jerky.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

> My first R2D2 was a Brinkman, as I recall. The problem was that the
> cylinder had no lip around it to keep it round. Getting the top onto
> the cylinder was difficult. The second one had solved the problem
> with a stamped ring into which the lid fit.
>
> As with the other comment, a water pan is important, IMHO. I cooked
> some decent food on the old R2D2's back then, including a couple
> Thanksgiving turkeys and some jerky.
>
> Nonny
>
> Steve Wertz wrote:

> > > A brinkman Gourment or Cajun Cooker.
> > > A barrel with a dome lid.

> > It's what we more commonly call an "ECB", or "El Cheapo Brinkman".
> >
> > -sw

> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
> For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
> And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Hey nonny,

Could you PLEASE stop top-responding?

Thanks,

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25 Apr 2007 16:04:30 GMT, ceed > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
>discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their chicken.
>Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken, and to be frank I
>have only found one way to do chicken that's been successful in my R2D2
>style smoker/grill and that is "beer can chicken" without adding any wood
>chips for smoke chips at all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using
>my gas grill which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.
>
>What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have it
>taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
>the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
>the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
>recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
>but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?
>
>Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,

I do chicken on my Weber gas grill. I do not like Italian or any other
marinade. I baste it constantly as it cooks with melted butter and I
turn it often. Takes about 45 minutes, with the wings coming off
first, then the legs, then the thighs, and finally the breasts. It's a
lot of work, but of the dozens of ways I have tried to grill chicken,
this is the best I have found. The result is moist all through,
including the breasts which tend to dry out with other methods I have
used. My chicken gets rave reviews from my family and guests.

Raymond

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 25, 12:04 pm, ceed > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
> discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their chicken.
> Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken, and to be frank I
> have only found one way to do chicken that's been successful in my R2D2
> style smoker/grill and that is "beer can chicken" without adding any wood
> chips for smoke chips at all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using
> my gas grill which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.
>
> What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have it
> taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
> the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
> the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
> recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
> but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?
>
> Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,
>
> --
> //ceed

I have a weird way of doing a whole chicken. I put the marinade under
the skin. Just be careful getting your fingers under the skin as it
tears easily. The marinade/ sauce I use is my own creation. Balsamic
vinegar, garlic, lots of garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little
cayenne pepper,sugar, basil, and onion powder. We do it with a pan of
water under the chicken to keep the moisture up. Without the pan of
water, we do it in a pan with a little water in it to keep the juices
from burning. I've been known to throw a cube of chicken boullion in
the water too. We cook @ 325 for about an hour to an hour and 15 min
til thigh temp is 175.

You could try injecting the meat with a marinade too to keep it moist.
Or use a soak for a few hours or overnight. Ive not done that but
have read plenty about it.
Good Luck. Nanzi

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Olde Hippee > wrote in
oups.com:

> I have a weird way of doing a whole chicken. I put the marinade under
> the skin. Just be careful getting your fingers under the skin as it
> tears easily. The marinade/ sauce I use is my own creation. Balsamic
> vinegar, garlic, lots of garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little
> cayenne pepper,sugar, basil, and onion powder. We do it with a pan of
> water under the chicken to keep the moisture up. Without the pan of
> water, we do it in a pan with a little water in it to keep the juices
> from burning. I've been known to throw a cube of chicken boullion in
> the water too. We cook @ 325 for about an hour to an hour and 15 min
> til thigh temp is 175.
>
> You could try injecting the meat with a marinade too to keep it moist.
> Or use a soak for a few hours or overnight. Ive not done that but
> have read plenty about it.
> Good Luck. Nanzi

Thanks! This sounds like something I have to try this upcoming weekend.
Sounds wonderful and relatively simple. I also liked the simple approach
someone else in this thread had which was only brushing the chicken with
butter over and over. I like that you have basil in there. I've always
like basil with chicken, but haven't seen it used to much here in the US.
Another herb I like for chicken is Majoram. I will try to add some of
that as well to see if it works. Again, thank you!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30 Apr 2007 17:05:20 GMT, ceed > wrote:

>Olde Hippee > wrote in
roups.com:

>> I have a weird way of doing a whole chicken. I put the marinade under
>> the skin. Just be careful getting your fingers under the skin as it
>> tears easily. The marinade/ sauce I use is my own creation. Balsamic
>> vinegar, garlic, lots of garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little
>> cayenne pepper,sugar, basil, and onion powder. We do it with a pan of
>> water under the chicken to keep the moisture up. Without the pan of
>> water, we do it in a pan with a little water in it to keep the juices
>> from burning. I've been known to throw a cube of chicken boullion in
>> the water too. We cook @ 325 for about an hour to an hour and 15 min
>> til thigh temp is 175.
>>
>> You could try injecting the meat with a marinade too to keep it moist.
>> Or use a soak for a few hours or overnight. Ive not done that but
>> have read plenty about it.
>> Good Luck. Nanzi
>>

>Thanks! This sounds like something I have to try this upcoming weekend.
>Sounds wonderful and relatively simple. I also liked the simple approach
>someone else in this thread had which was only brushing the chicken with
>butter over and over. I like that you have basil in there. I've always
>like basil with chicken, but haven't seen it used to much here in the US.
>Another herb I like for chicken is Majoram. I will try to add some of
>that as well to see if it works. Again, thank you!

Marjoram is good. Also consider tarragon. My favorite chicken pot pie
recipe uses tarragon.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

raymond wrote:

> I do chicken on my Weber gas grill. I do not like Italian or any other
> marinade. I baste it constantly as it cooks with melted butter and I
> turn it often. Takes about 45 minutes, with the wings coming off
> first, then the legs, then the thighs, and finally the breasts. It's a
> lot of work, but of the dozens of ways I have tried to grill chicken,
> this is the best I have found. The result is moist all through,
> including the breasts which tend to dry out with other methods I have
> used. My chicken gets rave reviews from my family and guests.

I use an offset smoker, though my technique should work in an R2D2. I
cut a chicken in half, allowing 1 chicken for every 3 people. Your
friends may be piggier than mine, or not as piggy.

I wash and pat dry the chickens, and then sprinkle the bird with a
generous amount of salt and black pepper.

At that point, I put them in the offset smoker, skin side down, at 250F,
measured at the grill.

I leave them in there about 1 1/2 hours. They are nicely done, the skin
is still crisp and they have a very nice smoky taste with the salt and
pepper really working well.

No marinades. No basting. No hassle. Just good bird.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
Proper
Distance
To him was bunk
They pulled him out
Of some guy's trunk
Burma-Shave
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 30, 3:32 pm, raymond > wrote:
> On 30 Apr 2007 17:05:20 GMT, ceed > wrote:
>

> >Olde Hippee > wrote in
> roups.com:

> >> I have a weird way of doing a whole chicken. I put the marinade under
> >> the skin. Just be careful getting your fingers under the skin as it
> >> tears easily. The marinade/ sauce I use is my own creation. Balsamic
> >> vinegar, garlic, lots of garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little
> >> cayenne pepper,sugar, basil, and onion powder. We do it with a pan of
> >> water under the chicken to keep the moisture up. Without the pan of
> >> water, we do it in a pan with a little water in it to keep the juices
> >> from burning. I've been known to throw a cube of chicken boullion in
> >> the water too. We cook @ 325 for about an hour to an hour and 15 min
> >> til thigh temp is 175.

> >> You could try injecting the meat with a marinade too to keep it moist.
> >> Or use a soak for a few hours or overnight. Ive not done that but
> >> have read plenty about it.
> >> Good Luck. Nanzi

> >Thanks! This sounds like something I have to try this upcoming weekend.
> >Sounds wonderful and relatively simple. I also liked the simple approach
> >someone else in this thread had which was only brushing the chicken with
> >butter over and over. I like that you have basil in there. I've always
> >like basil with chicken, but haven't seen it used to much here in the US.
> >Another herb I like for chicken is Majoram. I will try to add some of
> >that as well to see if it works. Again, thank you!

> Marjoram is good. Also consider tarragon. My favorite chicken pot pie
> recipe uses tarragon.

OOOHHH both the marjoram and taragon sound great, will try them this
weekend too, or as soon as bird is thawed!!