Posted to alt.food.barbecue
raymond raymond is offline

Default How to do chicken right.

On 25 Apr 2007 16:04:30 GMT, ceed > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In another thread here I was posting about barbeque sauce, and the
>discussion ended up in what kind of sauce people liked with their chicken.
>Personally I haven't found a sauce I like with chicken, and to be frank I
>have only found one way to do chicken that's been successful in my R2D2
>style smoker/grill and that is "beer can chicken" without adding any wood
>chips for smoke chips at all. Actually, it seems I might as well be using
>my gas grill which works okay, but doesn't make it come out above average.
>
>What I would like is some advice on how to do chicken in a R2D2 and have it
>taste good and keep moist. Every time I try it ends up being a little on
>the dry side, and the smoke flavor is not "right". It doesn't complement
>the flavor in the same way it does for other meat. Some people here
>recommended asian sweet pepper sauces for chicken. I've got some of that,
>but I do not know when to add it, while in the smoker/grill or after?
>
>Thank you in advance for advice and/or pointers,

I do chicken on my Weber gas grill. I do not like Italian or any other
marinade. I baste it constantly as it cooks with melted butter and I
turn it often. Takes about 45 minutes, with the wings coming off
first, then the legs, then the thighs, and finally the breasts. It's a
lot of work, but of the dozens of ways I have tried to grill chicken,
this is the best I have found. The result is moist all through,
including the breasts which tend to dry out with other methods I have
used. My chicken gets rave reviews from my family and guests.

Raymond