Posted to rec.food.baking
Melondy Melondy is offline

Default What chocolate to melt?

Michael Black wrote:
> Melondy ) writes:
>> Marge wrote:
>>> no, it just saves you the trouble of having to chop chocolate

>> But the chocolate IS different in chip form. It has things added to it
>> to keep it's shape when baking. They aren't as easy to work with when
>> melted because they don't have the cocoa butter that hard, block
>> chocolates have. That would make a difference in dipping cookies or
>> candies.
>>
>> Melondy

> I had to go back and reread the original post, because I thought there
> had been a good reason for the chips.
>
> When I was a kid, I had a cookbook aimed at the young, with fun sorts
> of simple things you could make. And one entry in there was a means
> of easily icing a cake. Take the cake out of the oven, and while it's
> still hot or warm (I forget which), you'd sprinkly chocolate chips
> over it. The heat of the cake would melt them, and you'd just spread it
> around so it was even.
>
> And I thought that was the case here, until I went back and read the
> part about melting the chocolate chips separate.
>
> And at that point, I am lost. You don't need to chop up chocolate if
> you are melting it, it merely takes a bit longer.
>
> Michael

It is almost always best to chop chocolate to melt it because then it
melts quicker and thus cooler, closer to being tempered. If you chop all
your chocolate, melt about half of it, stir to finish to a smooth melted
mass and then add the rest of your chopped chocolate and stir...you are
simulating tempering. The 'fresh' chocolate will melt slowly and absorb
alot of the heat, lowering the temperature and tempering your chocolate.
Then your chocoalte will again have that shine and snap like before you
melted and "un"tempered it.

Melondy