Kate Dicey

Default Haggis

Olivers wrote:

> Henriette Kress muttered....
>
> > Olivers wrote:
> >
> >> While I would be open to challenge (and gladly accept it), I would
> >> doubt whether more than 5% of the current population of Scotland
> >> would eat haggis more than once in 30 day period

> > So when's the last time you've eaten sausage?

> Yesterday, and several times in last couple of weeks, but that includes a
> wide sprectrum, all the way from hard salami through Cajun andouille,
> boudin, chorizo (Mexican) and "country" - no Blood Pudding, simply not
> available, but Souse/Head Cheese in the deli case.
>
> Roast beef?
>
> Within a couple of weeks, excluding prime rib whaich was last Monday
>
> Prime rib?
>
> See above.
>
> > Liver?

> Day before yesterday (Chicken liver)...
> Beef (calf) Liver within last 30 days
>
> Kidneys?
>
> No, but within 60 days, on toast with Madeira
>
> MickeyD's?
>
> Saturday afternoon while driving back from Shreveport, but only a Coke.
>

> > Henriette
> >

> After reading of the wide availability of haggis in Scotland and even
> throughout the Scuppered H'aisles, I'm convinced it remains a dietary
> and cultural fixture, but I'm wondering if its regular consumption among
> the young has not declined to special occasions, the fate of many
> traditional foods here in the US.
>
> I suppose that the demise of plum pudding here was to be expected, but even
> some common vegestables now show up only in "ethnic" restaurants.
>
> For all the criticism of US diets here, the US fat kid syndrome, I was
> interested to hear a news story recently announcing the British youngsters
> were growing fatter at an amazing rate, likely to outstrip US obesity
> soon. Too much haggis, I suppose...
>
> TMO

Nope: not enough running about! And too many sweets and crisps and the
like... My son has these things strictly rationed. Sweets once a week
(he
bought a bag of toffees last time, and half of them are still in the bag
10
days later! He's getting very good!). His school has also introduced a
no
sweets at break or lunchtime policy: they have to have healthy snacks
like
cereal bars or fruit.

There was a good article on a Kid's TV program here a few weeks back
that
showed the difference in the amount of activity (walking to school.
playing
outside after school, and the like) of kids now and kids 40 years ago,
the
difference in their school lunches ( typically meat and two veg, with
gravy,
followed by sponge pud and custard then, compared with pizza and chips
and ice
ream now), and the difference in the amount of PE they do (typically 4
hours
then and less than two now, mostly due to the constraints of the
National
Curriculum). It also detailed the number of sugary drinks (Cola and the
like)
drunk then and now, and the sweets and snacks consumed per day... It
was quite
horrifying! Kids seem to be eating in excess of 2000 kcalories per day
and
doing less than half the running about that they did when I was my son's
age!

I see a bit of this with my son: he's an only, and none of his friends
live
close enough for post school playing most days of the week, but we do
walk the
mile home (I am a non driver). At his age (9), while I had a 10 mile
bus
journey to school, I also had 3 siblings and loads of friends living
close by,
and no TV (At his age I lived in Malta, courtesy of the RAF). We also
had an
ultra safe environment to play in (Maltese adults tended to treat all
kids as
their own precious and doted on grand kids!), and plenty of warm salt
water...
No need for a telly! Our lifestyle at the time was more like a hot
version of
Swallows and Amazons than anything else.

My son does go to Judo twice a week, and cubs one night, so he does have
a more
active life than a lot of kids I see. I still feel this isn't quite
enough.
There isn't a huge amount of spare flesh on him, but he could be fitter.

Just today there was a small article in the Independant saying that
children's
waist sizes had grown by 4 cm or two clothing sizes in the last 20
years.
Girls are getting fatter quicker than boys, too. The incidence of Type
2
diabetes in kids is also increasing at alarming rates. The only
solution is to
eat a more ballanced diet (more fresh food, more fruit and veg), fewer
calories
(however you like to count them), and more physical activity.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk