Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Eat with your eyes first ...

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Christine Dabney" > wrote
>
>> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:55:49 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> Well, I bought .8lb. To make it I would have had to buy
>>> 1 cucumber, 1 red onion, 1 yellow pepper, a container of grape
>>> tomatoes. Parsley. Could I have bought all that for $6.40?
>>> Maybe.

>> I hear ya there. I am just flabbergasted at the prices of things
>> here...at least here in Richmond. Even stores unlike Whole Foods
>> charge an arm and a leg for stuff like that. Seems like the farther
>> you go west in this country, the cheaper the veggies become. Even in
>> NM I could probably get all those ingredients for less than half that
>> price.

> We had that discussion once. I don't remember the specifics, but
> someone was making the point about You could just buy all that
> stuff for 3 bucks. Whatever. I actually pulled out the weekly
> circular and posted the prices from local stores. People in
> California have it good with the produce prices.

That's the funny thing. People always assume everyone has a TJ's, everyone
has a farmer's market/markets (or if they do have one, it must be
fantastic!), everyone has a food co-op, everyone can buy produce as cheaply
as they can. Even in the south, where prices are bound to be a bit lower
than in the colder climates to the north, it's nothing like what I hear the
folks to the west talking about. Also, it gets downright hot here for a
long stretch (usually) but there is a lot of stuff that isn't typically
grown around here. With the exception of small farms, the majority of the
farmland around here is dedicated to soybeans and yes, cotton (old times
here are not forgotten!).

Hope you enjoyed the salad! (Did you manage to artfully arrange it like it
was in the store?)

Jill