Posted to alt.food.barbecue
43fan[_2_] 43fan[_2_] is offline

Default 1.5" thick T-Bones... best way...

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:51:28 -0400, "43fan" >
> wrote:
>
>>to cook? My thoughts, the grill. Sister in law bought 'em, and thinking
>>of
>>frying them!

> While I pretty much agree with the 'grill' replies, I suspect your
> s-i-l was thinking of pan-broiling, which is *not* frying. And one
> can produce a very nicely cooked--and seared--thick steak by
> pan-broiling. I know this, as my mother used to bring home 2"
> porterhouse steaks now and then, and pan-broil 'em. In a
> well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
> (it kinda was the only available way to cook a steak for us at that
> time)
>
> -denny-

Well, I gotta say, they turned out pretty durn good. IMO, what she did was
actually "fry" them. *g* Didn't use a cast iron skillet, which I did
suggest, but she elected not to. Little bit of olive oil in the pan, very
hot, not sure how long she cooked on each side, my wife made me leave the
kitchen because she was afraid there'd be a fight! LOL Um, I did have to
stop her from putting the things in a 350 deg oven though! Whew.... Took
'em outta the pan, into a baking dish and tented 'em. Then she was gonna
put them in a 350deg oven to "keep 'em warm"... LOL Again, whew... glad I
yelled... WHOA WHOA WHOAAAAA from the living room on that one and the wife
stopped her.

Still think they'd have been better on the grill, but I certainly ate all of
mine.

Thanks for the replies.