Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Finishing Rolling Pin

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 16, 6:50?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > Melondy wrote:

> >> Just sanded is fine unless it actually has stains or something. But a
> >> good sanding should be fine. Bare wood is best. If you want to put
> >> something on it, try a butcher block oil like John Boos' Mystery oil.
> >> It's great on cutting boards, bowls and any other kind of wooden
> >> objects that come into contact with food. It is food safe oil.

> > Why not use an ordinary vegetable oil? Or lard?
> > What's in Mystery oil? (Yes, it's a mystery. :-)

> Vegetable oil or lard will become rancid and the wood will soon stink.

Were that true wooden rolling pins would be outlawed for rolling pie
crusts, no baker would be allowed wooden bench boards

There is never a reason to seal wooden rolling pins, they will absorb
the proper amount of oil automatically from using on doughs... too
much oil or coating with sealer will cause dough to stick.
Meatcutters seal their wooden work surfaces, bakers apply nothing.
Bakers constantly scrape wooden surfaces with their bench knives,
whatever quantity of oil that is correct will remain, all the rest
will be absorbed by the flour and get scraped away. Anyone who even
thinks bakers treat their wooden surfaces has never baked anything,
not ever... Play DOH!

Sheldon

Sheldon, I'm trying to keep the explanation simple. Remember that there's
something missing from quite a few people who post questions like these: The
skills required for observation.