Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Finishing Rolling Pin

A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked great
for rolling out the dough in the pan.

A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.

What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Boomguy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 12:36?pm, wrote:
> A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
> My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked great
> for rolling out the dough in the pan.

If the dough could be rolled it wasn't pizza dough.

> A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
> bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
> don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.
>
> What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
> thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.
>
> Suggestions?

Nothing, bare wood is best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
> My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked great
> for rolling out the dough in the pan.
>
> A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
> bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
> don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.
>
> What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
> thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Boomguy

Another vote for bare wood. But, if you insist on finishing it, you'll need
something from a generic category called "salad bowl finish", a product
which at least in theory is safe for wooden surfaces like cutting boards,
and maybe even salad bowls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:54:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>>A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
>> My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked great
>> for rolling out the dough in the pan.
>>
>> A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
>> bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
>> don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.
>>
>> What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
>> thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Boomguy
>>

>Another vote for bare wood. But, if you insist on finishing it, you'll need
>something from a generic category called "salad bowl finish", a product
>which at least in theory is safe for wooden surfaces like cutting boards,
>and maybe even salad bowls.

The thing is I don't know where it's been. Though it looks fairly
clean, there may be some machine oil or some sort of industrial
chemical on it. If I don't finish it, then I will have to make sure
it's clean, suggestions for doing that?

Thanks
Boomguy
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thaddeus L Olczyk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:54:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..
>>>A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
>>> My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked great
>>> for rolling out the dough in the pan.
>>>
>>> A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
>>> bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
>>> don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.
>>>
>>> What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
>>> thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Boomguy
>>>

>>Another vote for bare wood. But, if you insist on finishing it, you'll
>>need
>>something from a generic category called "salad bowl finish", a product
>>which at least in theory is safe for wooden surfaces like cutting boards,
>>and maybe even salad bowls.
>>

> The thing is I don't know where it's been. Though it looks fairly
> clean, there may be some machine oil or some sort of industrial
> chemical on it. If I don't finish it, then I will have to make sure
> it's clean, suggestions for doing that?

No, other than sanding and sanding and sanding until you reach a point in
the wood where you don't see a stain any more. But, at that point, it'll be
out of round, and you won't want to use it.

Do you know that you could buy a clean 3/4" dowel at a hobby store or lumber
place for very little money? This little project seems as pointless as
trying to salvage a roll of surplus toilet paper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 11:15 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
> >> My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked
> >> great for rolling out the dough in the pan.

> >> A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
> >> bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
> >> don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.

> >> What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
> >> thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.

> >> Suggestions?

> >> Thanks

> >> Boomguy

> > Another vote for bare wood. But, if you insist on finishing it,
> > you'll need something from a generic category called "salad bowl
> > finish", a product which at least in theory is safe for wooden
> > surfaces like cutting boards, and maybe even salad bowls.

> I vote for bare wood, too, but pizza dough is really elastic. In my
> opinion, it needs to be stretched and pulled. I've tried rolling pizza
> (duh, first time learner) and all it did was spring back In any case, I
> wish you luck!
>
> kili- Hide quoted text -

If you let it rest for a few minutes, it will relax and be easier to
work with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
>> My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked
>> great for rolling out the dough in the pan.
>>
>> A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
>> bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
>> don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.
>>
>> What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
>> thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Boomguy
>>

> Another vote for bare wood. But, if you insist on finishing it,
> you'll need something from a generic category called "salad bowl
> finish", a product which at least in theory is safe for wooden
> surfaces like cutting boards, and maybe even salad bowls.

I vote for bare wood, too, but pizza dough is really elastic. In my
opinion, it needs to be stretched and pulled. I've tried rolling pizza
(duh, first time learner) and all it did was spring back In any case, I
wish you luck!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

>>> Another vote for bare wood. But, if you insist on finishing it,
>>> you'll need something from a generic category called "salad bowl
>>> finish", a product which at least in theory is safe for wooden
>>> surfaces like cutting boards, and maybe even salad bowls.

>> I vote for bare wood, too, but pizza dough is really elastic. In my
>> opinion, it needs to be stretched and pulled. I've tried rolling
>> pizza (duh, first time learner) and all it did was spring back In
>> any case, I wish you luck!
>>
>> kili- Hide quoted text -

> If you let it rest for a few minutes, it will relax and be easier to
> work with.

Thanks for the tip!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 2:32�pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:

> >> I vote for bare wood, too, but pizza dough is really elastic. *In my
> >> opinion, it needs to be stretched and pulled. *I've tried rolling
> >> pizza (duh, first time learner) and all it did was spring back *In
> >> any case, I wish you luck!

> >> kili- Hide quoted text -

> > If you let it rest for a few minutes, it will relax and be easier to
> > work with.

> Thanks for the tip!

But it's not true... the longer wheat bread dough rests the stronger
the glutten becomes and the more difficult it is to work. Pizza dough
and bagel dough are exactly the same, neither can be rolled. If you
can roll your pizza dough then you've used a recipe for Boboli, which
is the same as the dough used for Chicago deep dish pizza, which in
fact is not pizza at all, it's essentially Wonder Bread with a
grotesque quantity of pizza toppings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

On Apr 16, 2:32?pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:

> >> opinion, it needs to be stretched and pulled. I've tried rolling

>> > If you let it rest for a few minutes, it will relax and be easier to
>> > work with.

>> Thanks for the tip!

>But it's not true... the longer wheat bread dough rests the stronger

the glutten becomes and the more difficult it is to work. >Pizza dough
and bagel dough are exactly the same, neither can be >rolled. If you
can roll your pizza dough then you've used a recipe for >Boboli, which
is the same as the dough used for Chicago deep dish >pizza, which in
fact is not pizza at all, it's essentially Wonder Bread with a
>grotesque quantity of pizza toppings.

Lol...

As someone who eschews that loathsome concoction, that's about the best
description I've yet heard of the vile pile 'o mess called "Chicago deep
dish" 'za...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 12:00 pm, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2:32?pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
>

> > merryb wrote:

> > > If you let it rest for a few minutes, it will relax and be easier to
> > > work with.

> > Thanks for the tip!

> But it's not true... the longer wheat bread dough rests the stronger
> the glutten becomes and the more difficult it is to work. Pizza dough
> and bagel dough are exactly the same, neither can be rolled. If you
> can roll your pizza dough then you've used a recipe for Boboli, which
> is the same as the dough used for Chicago deep dish pizza, which in
> fact is not pizza at all, it's essentially Wonder Bread with a
> grotesque quantity of pizza toppings.- Hide quoted text -

That is true. You do not immediately jump in and form loaves, rolls,
etc right after mixing it. You are right about rolling the dough- you
can start by rolling, but it does need to be stretched/ pulled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 9:36 am, wrote:
> A long time ago my sister and brother in law were over making pizzas.
> My brother in law pulled out a miniture rolling pin which worked great
> for rolling out the dough in the pan.
>
> A few days ago I came across some 3/4" dowel in a surplus store. I
> bought it cut off a four inch piece, sanded it down. The problem is I
> don't know where it's been so I want to finish it.
>
> What kind of finish should I use that would be safe for food? I was
> thinking polyurathane, but I'm not sure that would be safe.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Boomguy

Hey Boomguy,
not as creative as the others before me... I just bought one from
Pampered Chefs, it works great on pizza. I have an old dowel about an
inch thick, I use to roll out tortillas and pie dough. don't know
where I got it or if it was cured Regular rolling pins too big for
me to control.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> "kilikini" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the tip!

> But it's not true... the longer wheat bread dough rests the stronger
>
> the glutten becomes and the more difficult it is to work. *>Pizza dough
> and bagel dough are exactly the same, neither can be >rolled. *If you
> can roll your pizza dough then you've used a recipe for >Boboli, which
> is the same as the dough used for Chicago deep dish >pizza, which in
> fact is not pizza at all, it's essentially Wonder Bread with a
>
> >grotesque quantity of pizza toppings.

> Lol...
>
> As someone who eschews that loathsome concoction, that's about the best
> description I've yet heard of the vile pile 'o mess called "Chicago deep
> dish" 'za...

Rather than Pretend Pizza would be better taken full monte, a Chi Town
Dago Casserole; line the deep-dip pan generously with well toasted
'talian garlic bread cut into cubes and then layer with pizza
gloppings... bake until gooey like a guido. Spoon into large bowls
and dive in... serve with pitchers of dago red.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

> The thing is I don't know where it's been. Though it looks fairly
> clean, there may be some machine oil or some sort of industrial
> chemical on it. If I don't finish it, then I will have to make sure
> it's clean, suggestions for doing that?

You alredy said you sanded it down. That seems adequate to me.
If you're that concerned go buy a new dowel at the hardware store that
hasn't come into contact with any potential icks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>>> I vote for bare wood, too, but pizza dough is really elastic. In my
>>> opinion, it needs to be stretched and pulled. I've tried rolling
>>> pizza (duh, first time learner) and all it did was spring back In
>>> any case, I wish you luck!
>>>
>>> kili- Hide quoted text -

>> If you let it rest for a few minutes, it will relax and be easier to
>> work with.

> Thanks for the tip!
>
> kili

It still needs to rest before stretching. Dough DOES relax after 15-20
minutes and doesn't fight you as much if you learn to let the gluten in
the bread dough rest. Try rolling or stretching it. If it still tries to
roll back smaller or doesnt' stay very stretched, rest 10-15 minutes
more. Try again. It should be much easier to shape. Compare the unrested
dough to what it's like when you first get done kneading it and it wants
to stay in a ball. Then after a proofing, see how relaxed and stretchy
it is.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 2:44 pm, Melondy > wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
> > merryb wrote:
> m...

> >> If you let it rest for a few minutes, it will relax and be easier to
> >> work with.

> > Thanks for the tip!

> > kili

> It still needs to rest before stretching. Dough DOES relax after 15-20
> minutes and doesn't fight you as much if you learn to let the gluten in
> the bread dough rest. Try rolling or stretching it. If it still tries to
> roll back smaller or doesnt' stay very stretched, rest 10-15 minutes
> more. Try again. It should be much easier to shape. Compare the unrested
> dough to what it's like when you first get done kneading it and it wants
> to stay in a ball. Then after a proofing, see how relaxed and stretchy
> it is.
>
> Melondy- Hide quoted text -

You are right!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melondy wrote:

> Just sanded is fine unless it actually has stains or something. But a
> good sanding should be fine. Bare wood is best. If you want to put
> something on it, try a butcher block oil like John Boos' Mystery oil.
> It's great on cutting boards, bowls and any other kind of wooden
> objects that come into contact with food. It is food safe oil.

Why not use an ordinary vegetable oil? Or lard?
What's in Mystery oil? (Yes, it's a mystery. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Melondy wrote:
>>
>> Just sanded is fine unless it actually has stains or something. But a
>> good sanding should be fine. Bare wood is best. If you want to put
>> something on it, try a butcher block oil like John Boos' Mystery oil.
>> It's great on cutting boards, bowls and any other kind of wooden
>> objects that come into contact with food. It is food safe oil.

> Why not use an ordinary vegetable oil? Or lard?
> What's in Mystery oil? (Yes, it's a mystery. :-)

Vegetable oil or lard will become rancid and the wood will soon stink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 3:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > Melondy wrote:

> >> Just sanded is fine unless it actually has stains or something. But a
> >> good sanding should be fine. Bare wood is best. If you want to put
> >> something on it, try a butcher block oil like John Boos' Mystery oil.
> >> It's great on cutting boards, bowls and any other kind of wooden
> >> objects that come into contact with food. It is food safe oil.

> > Why not use an ordinary vegetable oil? Or lard?
> > What's in Mystery oil? (Yes, it's a mystery. :-)

> Vegetable oil or lard will become rancid and the wood will soon stink.

Exactly- just leave it alone. If being used for just bread, pies, etc,
I don't even wash mine. Rub off anything that sticks with a clean
towel, and never put in a dishwasher!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Apr 16, 3:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

>>> Why not use an ordinary vegetable oil? Or lard?
>>> What's in Mystery oil? (Yes, it's a mystery. :-)

>> Vegetable oil or lard will become rancid and the wood will soon stink.

> Exactly- just leave it alone. If being used for just bread, pies, etc,
> I don't even wash mine. Rub off anything that sticks with a clean
> towel, and never put in a dishwasher!

That's right. No washy washy. Just brush or rub off the loose flour and
you're done. The tiniest particles of flour will fill in the wood pores
and make it more non-stick the more you use it.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 6:50�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > Melondy wrote:

> >> Just sanded is fine unless it actually has stains or something. But a
> >> good sanding should be fine. Bare wood is best. If you want to put
> >> something on it, try a butcher block oil like John Boos' Mystery oil.
> >> It's great on cutting boards, bowls and any other kind of wooden
> >> objects that come into contact with food. It is food safe oil.

> > Why not use an ordinary vegetable oil? *Or lard?
> > What's in Mystery oil? *(Yes, it's a mystery. :-)

> Vegetable oil or lard will become rancid and the wood will soon stink.

Were that true wooden rolling pins would be outlawed for rolling pie
crusts, no baker would be allowed wooden bench boards

There is never a reason to seal wooden rolling pins, they will absorb
the proper amount of oil automatically from using on doughs... too
much oil or coating with sealer will cause dough to stick.
Meatcutters seal their wooden work surfaces, bakers apply nothing.
Bakers constantly scrape wooden surfaces with their bench knives,
whatever quantity of oil that is correct will remain, all the rest
will be absorbed by the flour and get scraped away. Anyone who even
thinks bakers treat their wooden surfaces has never baked anything,
not ever... Play DOH!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 4:05 pm, Melondy > wrote:
> merryb wrote:

> >> Vegetable oil or lard will become rancid and the wood will soon stink.

> > Exactly- just leave it alone. If being used for just bread, pies, etc,
> > I don't even wash mine. Rub off anything that sticks with a clean
> > towel, and never put in a dishwasher!

> That's right. No washy washy. Just brush or rub off the loose flour and
> you're done. The tiniest particles of flour will fill in the wood pores
> and make it more non-stick the more you use it.
>
> Melondy- Hide quoted text -

I inherited my Grandma's, and unfortunately no one must have told her
that. I went to use it shortly after she passed away, and was
horrified to have some oily looking crap come from the bearings onto
my dough. So it's only around for sentimental reasons. French pins are
so much easier to work with, anyway. Using the dowel idea(which I did
also), you can have a couple of different sizes to accomodate what
you're rolling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 16, 6:50?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > Melondy wrote:

> >> Just sanded is fine unless it actually has stains or something. But a
> >> good sanding should be fine. Bare wood is best. If you want to put
> >> something on it, try a butcher block oil like John Boos' Mystery oil.
> >> It's great on cutting boards, bowls and any other kind of wooden
> >> objects that come into contact with food. It is food safe oil.

> > Why not use an ordinary vegetable oil? Or lard?
> > What's in Mystery oil? (Yes, it's a mystery. :-)

> Vegetable oil or lard will become rancid and the wood will soon stink.

Were that true wooden rolling pins would be outlawed for rolling pie
crusts, no baker would be allowed wooden bench boards

There is never a reason to seal wooden rolling pins, they will absorb
the proper amount of oil automatically from using on doughs... too
much oil or coating with sealer will cause dough to stick.
Meatcutters seal their wooden work surfaces, bakers apply nothing.
Bakers constantly scrape wooden surfaces with their bench knives,
whatever quantity of oil that is correct will remain, all the rest
will be absorbed by the flour and get scraped away. Anyone who even
thinks bakers treat their wooden surfaces has never baked anything,
not ever... Play DOH!

Sheldon
======================================

Sheldon, I'm trying to keep the explanation simple. Remember that there's
something missing from quite a few people who post questions like these: The
skills required for observation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melondy wrote:

> Just sanded is fine unless it actually has stains or something. But a
> good sanding should be fine. Bare wood is best. If you want to put
> something on it, try a butcher block oil like John Boos' Mystery oil.
> It's great on cutting boards, bowls and any other kind of wooden objects
> that come into contact with food. It is food safe oil.

LOL @ John Boo's Mystery Oil. I guess they would want to keep the content
of it a mystery because people wouldn't pay that much for it if they knew
it was just mineral oil.

Finishing Salts merryb General Cooking 21 29-04-2008 10:43 PM
I'm finishing up the Biscotti... King's Crown General Cooking 1 25-12-2006 03:09 AM
Finishing Strawberry Mike Winemaking 4 10-06-2004 02:36 AM
finishing questions Dan Winemaking 7 23-01-2004 08:01 PM
Help finishing off chardonnay Pete Winemaking 9 16-01-2004 04:58 AM