Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Egg drop soup?

Lovely EvilOne > wrote:

> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

For dan hua tang (egg flower soup) first make the typical Chinese
everyday stock, which, according to Yan-kit So, is usually made with
equal amounts of chicken, lean pork, and bacon (fresh or very lightly
smoked). Originally, abalone was also added, but this is now an
expensive proposition. Cover with water, bring to the boil and skim
until the stock is clear. Partially cover and simmer for 3 hours.
Strain through a sieve.

Starch is often added to the soup, but not always. In case it is, it is
only to achieve a "velvety" texture, not to make the soup significantly
thicker. Most Chinese soups are supposed to be drinkable straight from
the bowl and this one is no different. Light soy sauce is sometimes
added, too. A bit of salt and a pinch of sugar are also added, as well
as spring onions (green part only) cut in fine rings. The beaten egg(s)
can be added after first stirring the soup vigorously to achieve a
vortex and immediately pouring the egg(s) in between slightly open
chopsticks.

Victor