Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melondy Melondy is offline

Default Egg drop soup?

mm wrote:
> On Apr 12, 1:57 pm, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>> On Apr 12, 1:33?pm, (Lovely EvilOne) wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
>>> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
>>> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
>>> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
>>> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
>>> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
>>> that what I`m missing?

>> First you need a Chinese style chicken stock, not available canned,
>> gotta make your own, or at least try to doctor the canned, with some
>> fresh ginger root, white pepper, and a big pinch of msg... and
>> typically canned is too strong, gotta dilute it a bit, and real
>> Chinese style broths have been clarified and totally defatted. Then
>> you need to thicken the broth with cornstarch or arrowroot slurry,
>> needs to be fairly thick as adding the egg will cause it to thin
>> somewhat. Then add the slightly beaten egg in a thin stream to barely
>> simmering broth and then stir gently to create the obligatory
>> individual shreds that make it egg drop (do not boil or shreds will
>> toughen), helps to pour the egg from considerable height, and through
>> the tines of the fork held just at the surface of the broth. Once the
>> shreds are created stop stirring or trhe will break up. Garnish with
>> a bit of the green part of sliced scallions, and add a few bits of
>> julienned roast pork if you got it. Serve piping hot with crispy chow
>> mein noodles on the side.
>>
>> Sheldon Ahso

> Since you are so good at this (Chinese recipe), can you give recipe
> for Chineses hot and sour soup, if you have? There has been only one
> restaurant where this soup has been so perefctly balaced in tests (to
> me). I don't mind however complicated it is.

Here's how we make it:

Hot and Sour Soup

1/4 cup cloud ears (or wood ears) soaked in enough water to cover for
1/2 hour)
3-4 dried shitakes (soaked separately but the same as above)
4-5 lily buds (soaked separately but the same as above)
1 block tofu, cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
4-5 cups Chinese chicken stock or broth
1/4 cup of pork shreds (can be precooked, leftover roast or even bbq)
1/4 cup shredded bamboo shoots
2 TBS cornstarch in 2 TBS water
2 TBS vinegar (or more)
1 TBS, soy sauce
1 egg, beaten
pinch sugar
1/2 tsp. peper
1/4 cup scallions, minced
dribble of toasted sesame oil

After all the soaking is done, drain water and trim off woody stems or
bud ends from each. Slice or shred them all. Bring chicken stock to
boil. Add soaked ingredients, pork, tofu, bamboo shoots,and bring back
to boil quickly. Add sugar, pepper and vinegar to cornstarch slurry.
Then add slurry and heat till thickened. Taste and see if you need more
vinegar or more salt (soy sauce) Remove from heat. Then pour in beaten
egg, and scallions. Just before serving, dribble a little sesame oil on
top. Serve immediately.

Melondy