Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Egg drop soup?

On Apr 12, 1:33?pm, (Lovely EvilOne) wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe for making this that tastes like the kind you get
> from a chinese place? Yes, I did google and got a whole bunch of recipes
> - some of which seem to include things I wouldn`t expect. . The egg drop
> I used to get seemed pretty simple just a rich broth and the eggs. I
> tried making with canned chicken broth at home and it wasn`t nearly as
> good. Some of the recipes called for either flour or cornstarch - is
> that what I`m missing?

First you need a Chinese style chicken stock, not available canned,
gotta make your own, or at least try to doctor the canned, with some
fresh ginger root, white pepper, and a big pinch of msg... and
typically canned is too strong, gotta dilute it a bit, and real
Chinese style broths have been clarified and totally defatted. Then
you need to thicken the broth with cornstarch or arrowroot slurry,
needs to be fairly thick as adding the egg will cause it to thin
somewhat. Then add the slightly beaten egg in a thin stream to barely
simmering broth and then stir gently to create the obligatory
individual shreds that make it egg drop (do not boil or shreds will
toughen), helps to pour the egg from considerable height, and through
the tines of the fork held just at the surface of the broth. Once the
shreds are created stop stirring or trhe will break up. Garnish with
a bit of the green part of sliced scallions, and add a few bits of
julienned roast pork if you got it. Serve piping hot with crispy chow
mein noodles on the side.

Sheldon Ahso