Posted to rec.food.baking
Laura[_2_] Laura[_2_] is offline

Default What chocolate to melt?

"Michael Black" > wrote in message
> "Laura" ) writes:
>> "Merryb" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>>
>>> Couverature, but that needs tempering. Try your chips again, and be
>>> sure not to overheat. Also, don't add other stuff to it to try to
>>> thicken. Or if flavor isn't too important to you, then I would
>>> recommend bark, also.
>>>

>> why not leave the chips unadulterated. melt and drizzle on cookie, let
>> harden.
>> should be firm like the chips but not rock break teeth breaking hard. That's
>> what I do when i want to dip the ends of biscotti in chocolate and it is
>> good.
>>

> I think because the original poster is not satisfied with the state of the
> chocolate after melting.
>
> This is subjective, but it seems after making thousands of chocolate chip
> cookies over a decade, some brands of chocolate chips are better at reverting
> to their "natural" state. I tended to buy the cheapest, and then decided
> the chips were staying too "gooey". It seems better with a more expensive
> brand.
>
> I'm also willing to believe it might not be the chips, but something else
> in the process that is providing some variant, though I couldn't say
> what. I've made the same recipe enough that the variants that I used
> to see are long gone.
>
> Commercial chocolate chip cookies have a relatively firm chip, and
> they generally don't melt too badly in your fingers while you eat them.
>
> I think that's what the poster is asking about, because after melting
> the chocolate chips, they stay too soft and thus it's too messy in your
> hands.
>
> Michael

I've used gently in the microwave melted regular chips - think i used Kroger
brand to dip the ends of biscotti in with much success. kept them cool ( to
room temp) it sets up and then store in a tightly sealed container. I think
all chocolate chip i have used returns to a more solid state when cooled after
warming to liquid state. Chocolate chips r the easiest thing to work with. Any
brand i think..

--
Laura

-Sautéed poo is still poo!

Come join us at The Dirty Old Ladies and The Dirty Old Men!