LRod

Default Amana bottom freezer and door openings

On 27 May 2004 13:19:42 -0700, (Dennis) wrote:

>I want to buy the Amana bottom freezer model ARB220RCB (33" by 70"
>cabinet).
>The door on this model opens to the left, and the unit will sit very
>close to a wall on the left. I have a galley kitchen and its design
>prohibits a door opening to the right.
>
>Does anyone know if a 45 degree door opening will be unimpeded by the
>wall? In other words, does the hinge of the door open flush to the
>cabinet?

Sorry to take so long to answer. I have had an Amana bottom freezer
fridge, as does my mother and my daughter. I have replaced mine with a
Maytag (same manufacturer), solely due to a move and for cosmetic
reasons (renovating new kitchen to include stainless appliances).

I looked at my Maytag. The door stands wider than the side dimension
by approximately 1/8 of an inch when open 90°, and due to the rounded
corner, that is the maximum additional space it takes throughout the
travel from closed to 90°.

Therefore, assuming my Maytag construction and the Amana construction
are still identical, you should have to allow for no more than that
1/8" at 45° in your installation.

My observation is for the 22 ft^3 with a pullout freezer. If your
model has a door on the freezer, it should still open in the same
plane as the fridge door.

Good luck. They are fine machines. The Amana I left behind was my
second. The first one was also left behind (sales hook).

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net