Peter Aitken

Default Sabatier Steak Knives

"orangetrader" > wrote in message
> I bought two steak knives at a department store about two years ago. I
> don't remember which one - could be Burdines or Macy's - can't find the
> receipt anymore.
>
> They are Sabatier Commericial Cuisine steak knives, high carbon steel,

made
> in France. They were I think priced at $40 each and I got it at an open
> stock clearance, paid about $40 total.
>
> The knife plastic handles are now badly badly faded, and many rust spots
> developed along the blade to the point I don't used them anymore. I have
> Henckels knives that are more than twice their age and no rust spot, plus

> used and washed my Henckels a lot more (steak knives aren't used all the
> time).
>
> Are they defective or just an inferior brand? If I remember correctly

those
> have life time warranties, but I can't find a USA contact number to see
> about getting these replaced (or is it even worth it?)
>
> Any comments appreciated.

If they are really carbon steel they will rust - not a flaw, just the nature
of the metal. For many years all good knives were made this way until they
developed the stainless carbon steel that is used in most high quality
knives today. The older carbon steel is a bit softer and some people claim
is easier to sharpen and takes a better edge. But, it does rust. To avoid
you must wash soon after use and dry right away.

--
Peter Aitken