Old 28-03-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default San Francisco sourdough starter and Carl's starter

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
Hello

A friend on another ng recommended I post here with my query about
sourdough starter and Carl's starter. Three or four years ago, a poster
from uk.food+drink.misc sent me some San Francisco starter and also
mentioned 'Carl's starter'. Gradually, the starter changed and became
'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.
--
June Hughes

Hello June!

What's the problem with using your London starter?

Hi Mary. I didn't know you posted here. My starter used to make nice
bread with a good crust and lots of holes in it. The bread now comes
out a bit heavier and is chewier. Still OK but not as much to my liking
as it was.
I made my starter to an American recipe after sarah sent me some which
eventually died. I'm sure mine is now a Yorkshire one - but it works
perfectly well.

The directions I used explained that starters are affected by you and your
local conditions. Now I know that some here don't agree with that but it
makes sense to me :-)

Mary

--
June Hughes