Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default Are all French ovens Dutch ovens?

"wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> Actually, I don't believe they use either term in France. There's another
> (French) word for them over there. "Dutch oven" is a generic cooking term
> that's been around forever. I think "French oven" is an invention of the
> marketeers.
>
> On Le Creuset's USA web site, they use the terms "round oven" and "oval
> oven" to describe the two shapes.

Thought I'd see what name Le Creuset is using around the world for these on
their different web sites. Here's the countries and the names they used:

USA - oven, round and oval
UK - casserole, round and oval
Australia - French oven, round and oval
South Africa - cocotte, round and oval

Cocotte was the French word I was trying to think of.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net