Posted to rec.food.equipment
[email protected]\(no spam\) rmarksberry@houston.rr.com\(no spam\) is offline

Default Cutlery & More -

>> Joe,
>>
>> I know you didn't mean that message for me, but you may have done me
>> a big favor! My husband and myself love our large Boos board so much
>> that we would like to turn our kitchen island top into one large
>> cutting board, but didn't know how to proceed. I see these people do
>> that.
>> Chris in Pearland, TX

> All I can say about this guys work is it is excellent. I have seen 3
> boards he built and they are outstanding. I understand from a buddy that
> he built a custom island type top for that it fit perfectly. He sent the
> guy the measurements and got the top back in a few weeks exactly as
> ordered. I can't vouch for that since I haven't seen it, but my buddy is
> pretty picky. He is probably a little cheaper than Boos but I can't swear
> to that though.
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

My husband wrote to get an estimate for what it might cost... here's their
answer and also a picture of the kitchen that includes the island.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7212057@N07/

Hi Richard,

A hard maple butcher block as you describe in a full 2 inch thickness is

$428.07 plus shipping. I can only estimate the shipping charges at

approximately $85.00.

As for a recommendation, the maple you specified would make a great top.

Mahogany is lighter and almost burgundy, cherry is very pinkish yet very

subtle and expensive in its appearance. Maple is the heaviest, densest

and

hardest but is the least colorful, almost a palomino color. But its

strength makes it the best choice by far.

If you need any further information, either email me or call me at 336

803-0434 and I will be happy to work with you.

Thanks,

David

> Hi,

> I have a Kitchen Island that is 26" by 50" with cabinets underneath. I

> am

> looking for a 1 1/2" to 2" thick maple butcher block top with a full

13"

> radius on one end to replace the Corian top has now. What do you

recommend