Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Jam side up

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:46:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> Jammin question? I have too many blackberries in the freezer that are more
> than 1.5 years old. I am ashamed that they are still in the freezer.
>
> Do you think they will still make good jam/jelly?..are should I toss 'em?
>
> Will you point me to a recipe?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jay

What do they look like? Freezer-burned beyond recognition? Put 'em in
a smoothie or something if they are.

If they're still looking ok, they'll be fine for jam. Recipe? Get a
box of Sure?Jell Fruit Pectin (powder) or a box of Certo Liquid Fruit
Pectin and follow the instructions. If they've got lots of ice
crystals, put them in a colander and give them a quick shower to get rid
of the ice crystals; defrost slowly, drain some, measure and proceed.

The instructions are different for each type. Don't use one's method
with the recipe on the other.

That's the short answer. I use frozen blackberries for my blackberry
jam and jelly - I've had blue ribbons for both. Either contact me
privately if you need more info or else check in at rec.food.preserving
where the nice people there will tell you what I just told you here. "-)

(And the picture on the jar label is 11 years old. I look better now
than then.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic