Dee Randall

Default Coating in Le Creuset pots

Thank you, ps.
Now that I've been reading all the replies to my posts, I have set my red
pan close by the dish-washer debating as to whether I should put it in --
with my bleachy liquid dishwasher - and see what happens.

But this decision can wait.

My appreciation,
Dee

"ps" > wrote in message
> Premium outlet is the development company that runs the mall, the actual
> store should be a Le Creuset operation.
>
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for this informational url. Appreciated!
> >
> > There is one paragraph I noted:
> >
> > Step 5 Each item is then sprayed with two different coats of enamel.

First
> > the internal color then the familiar bright colored enamel on the

> exterior.
> > Both are fired at 1450°F. This high heat firing embodies the enamel into

> the
> > cast iron, making it almost completely resistant to damage during normal
> > use.
> >
> > It seems that if they were fired at 1450, that an electric stove would

not
> > be damaging the interior; perhaps what was cooked in them might: i.e,

such
> > as a tomato-y/sugar-y chutney cooked for hours. Would this be

considered
> as
> > abusing one's pans -- seriously!
> >
> > Also thanks for the url where the stores are mentioned. As a matter of
> > fact, in the next month or so, I have to go to Leesburg, VA where there

is
> > store located -- but, only a Premium Outlet; but someday I may get to
> > Hanover, MD, as well. [I'm from VA]
> >

> > Dee
> >

> > "ps" > wrote in message
> > > Dee,
> > >
> > > From the Le Creuset website:
> > > (http://www.lecreuset.com/new/product...erial=castiron)
> > >
> > > Q: Is the enamel harmful if ingested?
> > > A: No. It meets all FDA standards.
> > >
> > > While I speculated on a few possibilities that involved chemical

attack
> > > explain your experiences with the Le Creuset pans, the actual coatings

> > would
> > > be considered by most chemists to be inert--under typical use; at

least
> as
> > > much as any other piece of ceramic that you may have in your

house--the
> Le
> > > Creuset coating is probably very similar to many ceramic glazes. The

> > amount
> > > of coating that might come off in any given dish is so small as to be
> > > insignificant and, regardless, biologically inert. The pot with its

> > damage
> > > coating is only visually hazardous. One tin of canned tuna or any

> fresh
> > > water lake fish from the US is much more hazardous. Water from any

city
> > > with a delivery system at least 60-70 years old, e.g. parts of New

York
> > City
> > > or Chicago, may have more lead in it than what you'll get out of your

> pot
> > > (-0-).
> > >
> > > You say that you've only used them on an electric stove. That could

> > account
> > > for the pattern of wear. It is possible that the heating element on

the
> > > stove was not uniformly in contact with the pot. Areas where it was

in
> > > complete contact with element could of had localized overheating

leading
> > > accelerated erosion of the porcelain enamel. Electric elements are

MUCH
> > > more efficient than gas burners for heat transfer; they will routinely

> > boil
> > > water faster than any home gas stove burner--even the high output

> burners.
> > >
> > > Sure all of this may be moot. If you' re convinced that it is a
> > > manufacturing defect, then your only recourse is to take it up with

the
> > > manufacturer. There is a Le Creuset outlet store in Hanover, MD, is

> that
> > > close to you? http://www.outletsonline.com/lecreuset/lestores.html I

> > think
> > > that Le Creuset USA actually has something to do with the stores. Put

> the
> > > onus on them to replace it. Too bad you didn't save the others,

cracks
> > > should never happen.
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > >
> > > ps