Kate Dicey

Default Coating in Le Creuset pots

Dee Randall wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The coating on my Le Creuset pots lasted no longer than 2 years’ use. I
> have asked about it, but any one I mention it to is incredulous. Of
> course, I don’t have them “in hand” when I mention it.
>
> Two pots out of 3 cracked. Two pots’ coating rendered them unusable as
> well.
>
> Since the last pot (the largest pot and not cracked) that I have left is
> still in my possession after sitting on the top shelf for many years, I
> decided to take a few pictures to send to see if anyone has ever seen such a
> thing.
>
> I’m just wondering if you could take a look at
>
> http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...reusetpots.htm
>
> Has this happened to you or anyone you know? 3 out of 3 ain’t bad!
>
> Dee

Ha! BTDT! That looks just like mine did! I treated them VVEERRYY
gently as they were a wedding present in 1982. They weren't put in the
dishwasher in those days, because I didn't own one until most of their
woking life was over. The first time I boiled potatoes in one, a great
lump of enamel disappeared, and they went downhill from there. (The spud
stuck like I'd Araldited it in, and no, the pot did NOT boil dry!) Of
six pieces, this happened to 3 saucepans. The sauté pan (which gets
used on a HIGH heat for sealing meat, and has had metal utensils used in
it, to boot!) is, after 21 years use, still fine: a little worn, but
nothing like that. The little milk pan has lost most of its non-stick,
and I've only ever used wooden things in it, and the small oval roasting
dish is ok in the bottom, but the rim has chipped.

I got some good quality stainless steel pans, and they are MUCH better.

I took great care of my wedding present Le Cruset saucepans, and they
did exactly what yours have done. My grandmother abused her cheap and
cheerful enamelled saucepans mightily, and they outlasted her, enamel
intact. Not only that, but I own an old pre-war double boiler
(enamelled inside and out), which I keep now for arty things (great for
melting wax for Batik), and except for a chip on the lid where it once
got dropped, it too is perfect.

Other friends who have Le Cruset have had equally variable experiences,
with some lasting well, and others turning black and chipping at the
drop of a cool feather! I am not impressed and will not be owning
more. I'd rather pay the same sort of money and have a few more Aga
saucepans! (I have one, and it's lovely, but that little milk pan sized
saucepan alone costs about £60! I'm glad it was a present!)
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk