Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
Roughrider50 Roughrider50 is offline

Default Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:29:58 GMT, "Roughrider50" >
> wrote:
>
>>I was stationed in Berlin in the 60's & there was a gesthaus across the
>>street from my compound that had the best pizza I have ever
>>eaten........Add
>>to that the best beer I've ever drank, & the bockwurst that's out of this
>>world, not to mention Kartoffelsalat & Ochsenschwanzsuppe....

> I think all those things have improved with age (yours -- and mine). 8
>
> And besides, the best ochsenschwanzsuppe was clearly at der Roter Ochsen
> in
> Heidelberg.
>
> I also remember pop-top bottles of wonderful fresh beer (Weldebrau)
> magically
> appearing on my doorstep every morning.
>
> But I sure don't remember good pizza in Germany. France, yes; Holland,
> yes;
> Italy, yes; but not Germany.
>
> -- Larry (owned the Army's Berlin trains in the '60s, and spent a lot of
> time
> there...)

Well I doubt if the pizza could be called classic by the purists here but it
tasted great, which is all that matters. They had some kind of peppers on
them that made it stand out. If memory serves me right it was about a block
down the street from Andrews barracks.
As far as the Army trains in Berlin(AKA Duty train) that was one of my
assignments.As a radio operator I'd ride the duty train to Helmstadt turn
around after a brief layover & return. Pretty interesting, especially when
we'd stop in Magdeburg to show our documents to the Russians. Got a lot of
good souvenirs that way ).