Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default To brown or not to brown? Using uncooked chicken backs & wings for soup.

"Harris" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Yes cybercat, you are right. We actually used this advice last night to make cock a
> leekie and it was indeed full of flavour.
> Thanks to Nexis. :-)
>

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Nexis" > wrote>
>>
>>>The real key to a good, flavorful broth is to not let it boil. Just a good simmer
>>>is all you need, with barely any bubbles reaching the surface. A couple hours
>>>later and all you need to do is strain and taste for seasoning.

>> Very true and beautifully stated.

Glad to be of service
It also makes for a clearer broth, I forgot to mention.
I've seen recipes that call for a low boil for 50-60 minutes, but I think you get far
more and far better flavor with a simmer for a couple hours.

kimberly