J Quick

Default Prevalence of Induction Cooking?

"Colin" > wrote in message

> J Quick wrote:
> > "Tess" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> >>I've only learned about induction cooking in the past couple weeks and
> >>was wondering how common it is for residential cooking. I was going
> >>to buy an All-Clad copper core braiser, but it wouldn't work for an

> >snip<

> > Why do you think that an All-Clad copper core braiser won't work on an
> > induction cooktop?
> >
> > Induction will work fine with copper or aluminum core cookware so long

as
> > there is sufficient ferrous stainless steel as well.
> >
> >snip>

> Be careful what you say. First, only the only line of All-Clad cookware
> that is induction capable is their stainless line.

What should I be careful about saying? You don't seem to dispute or refute
a word I said. I never claimed that the copper core was induction capable.
I was questioning the premise. But you've now claimed otherwise, without
offering any support, I might add. You have personal experience with
All-Clad copper core braisers not working on a particular induction range?
I could remodel my kitchen for less than the cost of several All-Clad
pieces, so I'm not about to test it myself, that I can assure you. <grin>

> Second, the magnetic field produced by induction cooktops is very short
> range, therefore a thick piece of Al or Cu would render the induction
> cooktop useless.

I've used induction, but I never thought at the time to see how far away the
pan would need to be from the surface before it stopped working. I do know
about the inverse square law, so I'm not disputing the point. The question
is: how far is too far? The inductive loop will already be separated by
the thickness of the cooktop surface, at least. I only have a gas range
where I live now and I won't be upgrading to induction until my next kitchen
remodel. I plan to go with CookTek built-in hobs.

> Third, since the entire pot (within range of the magnetic field) gets
> hot from the induction effect, the need for an Al or Cu base is
> eliminated, meaning that expensive multiple layer or solid copper
> cookware is no longer needed.

Since the induction loop has no idea how much the pan costs, I think it's
safe to say that the price is irrelevent. Taking only the physical
construction into account, are you claiming that there is no benefit for a
good heat conducting core because induction so evenly heats the pan? My
experience is different, as I've seen bad hotspots with thin stainless
cookware or cookware with a larger diameter than the induction loop.

> For induction cooking, simple, inexpensive, non-stick cast iron is one
> of the best pans available.

At least that's one point I won't question. <smile>