Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default To brown or not to brown? Using uncooked chicken backs & wings for soup.

"daveyj" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
> that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.
>
> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> end pieces.
>
> Should I brown them first?
> If you brown them first, then how?
>
> I'd like to make something special, and I'd hate to waste this good
> stuff.
> Thanks for your suggestions.

It's really a personal taste thing. I don't usually bother but you can throw them on
a baking sheet and put them in a very hot (425*-450*f) oven til browned. Then add to
the stock pot with onions, celery (don't be afraid to throw in those celery leaves!)
and some peppercorns. Not too many, a few will do. Add water to cover, or chicken
broth for an even deeper flavor. Some people add carrots. I don't because I don't
care for the sweetness they impart. The real key to a good, flavorful broth is to not
let it boil. Just a good simmer is all you need, with barely any bubbles reaching the
surface. A couple hours later and all you need to do is strain and taste for
seasoning. At this point, I add sea salt and more pepper, this time I grind it
though. Ah well, you probably know all this. So, my answer to your question is, if
you feel like it, do it.

kimberly