Posted to rec.food.sourdough
[email protected] erichjseifert@gmail.com is offline

Default inoculation

Thanks a lot.
Most of the recipes I've seen have starter amounts 20% to 40% of the
total dough amount, which is what I've been going by. It seems okay to
calculate the amount of starter needed for the fermentation times
desired. Perhaps I'm off the mark, though. Long, slow fermentations
are good. The temperatures at which it takes place, however, might
affect the types of acids produced (bacteria favored).

> With starter, what counts is the ratio of starter flour to total flour.

Would you mind explaining why the ratio of starter flour to total
flour counts? Perhaps that will help me to understand why.

Regardless. Thanks.

-Erich