Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default OT - Non Mexican Chili

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
t...
> Hi there;
>
> On Sunday there was a SB party & Chili Tasting at the house of a friend.

Being
> somewhat competitive I put on my thinking cap and created Tequila Mango

Chili.

> Several Texans have now turned over in their graves......
>
> There were about 12 Chili's ranging from Vegan to White and the following

as the
> most voted for or received the largest number of votes. Remember these

were
> the beautiful people (not I) from Manhattan Beach California. LOL......

(If I
> had their money I would burn mine)
>
> Tequila Mango Chili
>
> 1 very large white onion diced
> 2 carrots minced
> ¼ cup diced garlic
> ½ cup celery
>
> 2 lbs. pork shoulder
> 5 Lbs beef neck (bone in)
> 2 Large mangos (diced)
>
> 1 1oz package ground New Mexican Chili (mild)
> 2 Large cans El Pato Enchilada Sauce (mild)
> 4 Regular cans diced tomatoes
> 2 TBS ground Cumin
> 2 Small cans diced green chilies
> 24 ounces tomato juice (2 cans)
> 1 TBS Beef soup mix
> 1 TBS oregano
> 1 tsp Ground black pepper
> 2 Dash Pico De Gallo Powder (measured dash) or more [ very hot

stuff]
> 1 Cup Tequila
>
> 3 USDA select NY Steaks medium dice and browned in a dry cast

iron pan
> (fat & bone removed)
>
> Bread crumbs (to thicken)
>
> Preparation
>
> Make a Mirepoix from the onion, celery, carrot, & garlic. Sauté till soft

add
> the diced mango & ground New Mexican chili powder and sauté until well
> incorporated.
>
> Add 2 cans of enchilada sauce & the 4 cans of tomatoes bring to a boil &

simmer.

> De-bone the meat & cut into strips leaving most of the fat & grind using

the
> larger chili grind. In a separate heavy skillet (cast iron) brown the

meat in
> small batches until almost burnt & no liquid remains. Add the browned

meat to
> the Chili & 1 can of the tomato juice. Add the cumin pepper, green

chilies &
> soup mix. Deglaze the pan with the remaining can of tomato juice & simmer

until
> the juice begins to turn brown - add to the chili.
>
> Begin simmering covered, stir occasionally. Taste for hot and adjust using
> cayenne or any other ground hot chili powder. Simmer 6 or more hours - 1

hour
> before serving add the steak & using the tequila to deglaze the pan. 20
> minutes before serving use bread crumbs to thicken, be careful the bread

crumbs
> can easily over thicken quickly.
>
> One final note: there purposely is no commercial Chili powder - I prefer

> conrol the amount of Cumin & dried chili. If I do say so myself it has a

nice
> mouth feel & the spice was an "afterbite" so as not to mask the flavors
>
> Enjoy
> Dimitri

You are kidding! Good porkchops killed in this mix? A great cow's neck
smothered as well? A great steak covered in this stuff?

wow!

Please tell us you are kidding, just kidding!