Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default OT - Non Mexican Chili

Hi there;

On Sunday there was a SB party & Chili Tasting at the house of a friend. Being
somewhat competitive I put on my thinking cap and created Tequila Mango Chili.

Several Texans have now turned over in their graves......

There were about 12 Chili's ranging from Vegan to White and the following as the
most voted for or received the largest number of votes. Remember these were
the beautiful people (not I) from Manhattan Beach California. LOL...... (If I
had their money I would burn mine)

Tequila Mango Chili

1 very large white onion diced
2 carrots minced
¼ cup diced garlic
½ cup celery

2 lbs. pork shoulder
5 Lbs beef neck (bone in)
2 Large mangos (diced)

1 1oz package ground New Mexican Chili (mild)
2 Large cans El Pato Enchilada Sauce (mild)
4 Regular cans diced tomatoes
2 TBS ground Cumin
2 Small cans diced green chilies
24 ounces tomato juice (2 cans)
1 TBS Beef soup mix
1 TBS oregano
1 tsp Ground black pepper
2 Dash Pico De Gallo Powder (measured dash) or more [ very hot stuff]
1 Cup Tequila

3 USDA select NY Steaks medium dice and browned in a dry cast iron pan
(fat & bone removed)

Bread crumbs (to thicken)

Preparation

Make a Mirepoix from the onion, celery, carrot, & garlic. Sauté till soft add
the diced mango & ground New Mexican chili powder and sauté until well
incorporated.

Add 2 cans of enchilada sauce & the 4 cans of tomatoes bring to a boil & simmer.

De-bone the meat & cut into strips leaving most of the fat & grind using the
larger chili grind. In a separate heavy skillet (cast iron) brown the meat in
small batches until almost burnt & no liquid remains. Add the browned meat to
the Chili & 1 can of the tomato juice. Add the cumin pepper, green chilies &
soup mix. Deglaze the pan with the remaining can of tomato juice & simmer until
the juice begins to turn brown - add to the chili.

Begin simmering covered, stir occasionally. Taste for hot and adjust using
cayenne or any other ground hot chili powder. Simmer 6 or more hours - 1 hour
before serving add the steak & using the tequila to deglaze the pan. 20
minutes before serving use bread crumbs to thicken, be careful the bread crumbs
can easily over thicken quickly.

One final note: there purposely is no commercial Chili powder - I prefer to
conrol the amount of Cumin & dried chili. If I do say so myself it has a nice
mouth feel & the spice was an "afterbite" so as not to mask the flavors

Enjoy
Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
t...
> [...]

chilies &
> soup mix. Deglaze the pan with the remaining can of tomato juice & simmer

until
> the juice begins to turn brown - add to the chili.
>
> Begin simmering covered, stir occasionally. Taste for hot and adjust using
> cayenne or any other ground hot chili powder. Simmer 6 or more hours - 1

hour
> before serving add the steak & using the tequila to deglaze the pan. 20
> minutes before serving use bread crumbs to thicken, be careful the bread

crumbs
> can easily over thicken quickly.
>
> One final note: there purposely is no commercial Chili powder - I prefer

> conrol the amount of Cumin & dried chili. If I do say so myself it has a

nice
> mouth feel & the spice was an "afterbite" so as not to mask the flavors

You are kidding! Good porkchops killed in this mix? A great cow's neck
smothered as well? A great steak covered in this stuff?

wow!

Please tell us you are kidding, just kidding!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Hi there;
>
> On Sunday there was a SB party & Chili Tasting at the house of a friend. Being
> somewhat competitive I put on my thinking cap and created Tequila Mango Chili.
>
> Several Texans have now turned over in their graves......
>
> There were about 12 Chili's ranging from Vegan to White and the following as the
> most voted for or received the largest number of votes. Remember these were
> the beautiful people (not I) from Manhattan Beach California. LOL...... (If I
> had their money I would burn mine)
>
> Tequila Mango Chili
>
> 1 very large white onion diced
> 2 carrots minced
> ¼ cup diced garlic
> ½ cup celery
>
> 2 lbs. pork shoulder
> 5 Lbs beef neck (bone in)
> 2 Large mangos (diced)
>
> 1 1oz package ground New Mexican Chili (mild)
> 2 Large cans El Pato Enchilada Sauce (mild)
> 4 Regular cans diced tomatoes
> 2 TBS ground Cumin
> 2 Small cans diced green chilies
> 24 ounces tomato juice (2 cans)
> 1 TBS Beef soup mix
> 1 TBS oregano
> 1 tsp Ground black pepper
> 2 Dash Pico De Gallo Powder (measured dash) or more [ very hot stuff]
> 1 Cup Tequila
>
> 3 USDA select NY Steaks medium dice and browned in a dry cast iron pan
> (fat & bone removed)
>
> Bread crumbs (to thicken)
>
> Preparation
>
> Make a Mirepoix from the onion, celery, carrot, & garlic. Sauté till soft add
> the diced mango & ground New Mexican chili powder and sauté until well
> incorporated.
>
> Add 2 cans of enchilada sauce & the 4 cans of tomatoes bring to a boil & simmer.
>
> De-bone the meat & cut into strips leaving most of the fat & grind using the
> larger chili grind. In a separate heavy skillet (cast iron) brown the meat in
> small batches until almost burnt & no liquid remains. Add the browned meat to
> the Chili & 1 can of the tomato juice. Add the cumin pepper, green chilies &
> soup mix. Deglaze the pan with the remaining can of tomato juice & simmer until
> the juice begins to turn brown - add to the chili.
>
> Begin simmering covered, stir occasionally. Taste for hot and adjust using
> cayenne or any other ground hot chili powder. Simmer 6 or more hours - 1 hour
> before serving add the steak & using the tequila to deglaze the pan. 20
> minutes before serving use bread crumbs to thicken, be careful the bread crumbs
> can easily over thicken quickly.
>
> One final note: there purposely is no commercial Chili powder - I prefer to
> conrol the amount of Cumin & dried chili. If I do say so myself it has a nice
> mouth feel & the spice was an "afterbite" so as not to mask the flavors
>
> Enjoy
> Dimitri

Vegan and white chili (Yuck!)? How did they make the white chili?
Turkey, Shrimp or enoki mushrooms?

Dam! Two tablespoons of cumin could season a half a side of beef in
these parts.
Cumin belongs in Texas to hide the taste of their nasty stockyard beef.
(Just kidding Texicans)

Sounds like fun though... You certainly blended some flavors there. Do
you feel cayenne adds any real flavor? I prefer to stay with the darker
chilis.

Mangos are difficult to judge in flavor. Some can be tart some can be
sweet as juice which one did you use?

I agree with Wayne that there are better uses for NY strips than to boil
them. Curious about the color, did you get any pictures you can post on
the binary groups? I've made some great tasting chili that looks like hell.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> You are kidding! Good porkchops killed in this mix? A great cow's neck
> smothered as well? A great steak covered in this stuff?
>
> wow!
>
> Please tell us you are kidding, just kidding!

Nope, no kidding.

I use pork extensively when making pasta sauce. No pork chops - just shoulder.
I think pork when properly browned adds a great depth of flavor. In addition the
steak was more for mouth feel (cosmetics) than anything else. I wanted people to
bite into a nice little piece of meat. Remember this was cheap steak less than
$4.00 per pound, and it was added at the very end.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..

> Mangos are difficult to judge in flavor. Some can be tart some can be sweet as
> juice which one did you use?

Medium sweet giant ones.

> I agree with Wayne that there are better uses for NY strips than to boil them.
> Curious about the color, did you get any pictures you can post on the binary
> groups? I've made some great tasting chili that looks like hell.

See the answer to Wayne re the steaks.

Color -The color ended up being a deep brown, it is the primary reason I used
the tomatoes and tomato juice. Simmered tomato becomes a rich brown.

Sorry no pictures.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dimitri wrote:
>> Hi there;
>>
>> On Sunday there was a SB party & Chili Tasting at the house of a friend.
>> Being somewhat competitive I put on my thinking cap and created Tequila
>> Mango Chili.

> Vegan and white chili (Yuck!)? How did they make the white chili?

Dude, White Chili is a Firefighter's recipe for chicken and great
Northern(Cannellini) beans, usually with onions and green chiles (cumin, of
course) in a chicken stock/broth. If you are a chili purist, just think of
it as a chicken bean soup. topping with any of the good white cheeses is
optional.

To me most meat based red Chilis in the States are either an exercise in
Macho heat ingestion or a spicy Goulash with mystery meat , especially if
sweet American style Tomato pastes or canned tomato and commercial chili
powder blends are used

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>> Hi there;
>>>
>>> On Sunday there was a SB party & Chili Tasting at the house of a friend.
>>> Being somewhat competitive I put on my thinking cap and created Tequila
>>> Mango Chili.

>> Vegan and white chili (Yuck!)? How did they make the white chili?

> Dude, White Chili is a Firefighter's recipe for chicken and great
> Northern(Cannellini) beans, usually with onions and green chiles (cumin, of
> course) in a chicken stock/broth. If you are a chili purist, just think of
> it as a chicken bean soup. topping with any of the good white cheeses is
> optional.
>
> To me most meat based red Chilis in the States are either an exercise in
> Macho heat ingestion or a spicy Goulash with mystery meat , especially if
> sweet American style Tomato pastes or canned tomato and commercial chili
> powder blends are used

I realize that there is white beans... I was just having fun. It ain't
what we would call chili around here.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>

>> Mangos are difficult to judge in flavor. Some can be tart some can be sweet as
>> juice which one did you use?

> Medium sweet giant ones.
>
>> I agree with Wayne that there are better uses for NY strips than to boil them.
>> Curious about the color, did you get any pictures you can post on the binary
>> groups? I've made some great tasting chili that looks like hell.

> See the answer to Wayne re the steaks.
>
> Color -The color ended up being a deep brown, it is the primary reason I used
> the tomatoes and tomato juice. Simmered tomato becomes a rich brown.
>
> Sorry no pictures.
>
> Dimitri

Sounds nice... with all that cooking time it was bound to taste good!
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
t...
> Hi there;
>
> On Sunday there was a SB party & Chili Tasting at the house of a friend.
> Being somewhat competitive I put on my thinking cap and created Tequila
> Mango Chili.
> Enjoy
> Dimitri

Apparently someone else thought it was good also

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ili-28054.html

Personally Don't care much for Beef and fruit.
OTH, Fruits on Pork, Chicken or a good fish can be quite tasty:

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Hi there;
>>
>> On Sunday there was a SB party & Chili Tasting at the house of a friend.
>> Being somewhat competitive I put on my thinking cap and created Tequila Mango
>> Chili.
>> Enjoy
>> Dimitri

> Apparently someone else thought it was good also
>
> http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ili-28054.html
>
> Personally Don't care much for Beef and fruit.
> OTH, Fruits on Pork, Chicken or a good fish can be quite tasty:

Interesting but I didn't see any Mango in the recipe...

a.. 2lbs. Beef - any way you like - I used some left over tri-tip roast and
some fresh stew meat
b.. 1-14.5oz. can stewed tomatoes
c.. 1-6oz can tomato paste
d.. 1 mango - chopped
e.. 1 medium red onion - chopped
f.. 3 garlic cloves - minced
g.. 1 handful of cilantro - minced
h.. juice from 2 limes
i.. 1 oz. tequila - I used tangerine tequila to build on the fruitiness of the
mango and lime.
j.. 2 T. Chili Powder - I used Penzey's which has ancho chili, cumin, mexican
oregano and a couple of other things
k.. 1t. Chipotle Chili powder
l.. 2t. Paprika
m.. 1 Jalapeno - roasted, skinned, de-veined, de-seeded, and chopped
n.. 1 Anaheim Chili - roasted, skinned, de-veined, de-seeded, and chopped
o.. 1 1/2C. Beef Stock
p.. Salt & Pepper to taste
Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> t...

The 4th Item down on the list Dimitri.

To satisfy my curiosity what is your background? I do not see many outside
of Italians, a few chefs and the older Northeasterners still making a solid
ragu.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 7, 11:54�am, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:

> To satisfy my curiosity what is your background? *

Frankly, Skillet, who gives a pan?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . net...
>>
>> "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>> t...

> The 4th Item down on the list Dimitri.
>
> To satisfy my curiosity what is your background? I do not see many outside
> of Italians, a few chefs and the older Northeasterners still making a solid
> ragu.

American born, Greek blood, Russian decent, lived in Mexico, with Southern
Italian step Grandparents.

Food exposu

Cuisines
Greek
Russian
Southern Italian
Northern Italian
French
Japanese pretty good
Some Chinese
Tex Mex
New Mexico & Arizona Southwestern.
New York
Slow smoking (AKA Q)

Oh yes, NYC & Chicago local cuisine

Is that enough?

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 10, 12:38�pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message

> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> .net...

> .net...

> > The 4th Item down on the list Dimitri.

> > To satisfy my curiosity what is your background? * I do not see many outside
> > of Italians, a few chefs and the older Northeasterners still making a solid
> > ragu.

> American born, Greek blood, Russian decent, lived in Mexico, with Southern
> Italian step Grandparents.

Got any recipes for Pasta en Mole? How about Tequila Tiramisu?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

American born, Greek blood, Russian decent, lived in Mexico, with Southern
> Italian step Grandparents.
>
> Food exposu
>
> Cuisines
> Greek
> Russian
> Southern Italian
> Northern Italian
> French
> Japanese pretty good
> Some Chinese
> Tex Mex
> New Mexico & Arizona Southwestern.
> New York
> Slow smoking (AKA Q)
>
> Oh yes, NYC & Chicago local cuisine
>

> Is that enough?
>
> Dimitri

Yes. Quite enough, thank you.

A couple of suggestions, 1. deconstruct your recipe into groups and
categories, look at what is redundent, look at the ratios. This seems more
of a general mixologist approach rather than a cook's approach. The cooking
methods of loin steak that S. Dude was talking about you probably already
knew as a "slow Q cooker" and probably added as a filler that would toughen
up and would not braise away so I will not comment on that. Men and
Grilling meat we automatically know this right? 2. The other suggestion is
understand Sofrito is to Latin as Miripoix is to French, a subtle but
important flavor thing. Almost like understanding the "Red or Green"
understanding thing you gained in your NM exposure. So small points.

As to your comment on not using a "commerical chili powder". Just realize
that Pico de Gallo seasoning mix is a commerical mixx and usually just
cayenne chile powder in a salt( it is cheap and processed to be keep the mix
free flowing) and spice mix of garlic and/or onion, sometimes a bit of
Payapa extract. It may not be the red chili, garlic and cumin thing
McCormicks you traditionally classify as a commerical chili powder, but it
is exactly that. Combined with the beef boullion, dried onions, salts and
MSG of the soup mix, you have to go back to comment 1, deconstruct and see
what is redundent.

I do have another question. Isn't "NYC & Chicago local cuisine" the Hot
Dog? That is what the NY & Chi town Cops told me at the FBI National
Academy. Just last week the Foodservice Newsletter stated that NY was
largest comsumer of the Frankfurter in the Nation. was Is there a
defination or example of these two cusines that you have that is different
from theirs?

All in all, you do have an interesting recipe, I will throw it in and the
original version in my book to possibly try out this year.

Thank you

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message

<snip>

Yes. Quite enough, thank you.

> A couple of suggestions, 1. deconstruct your recipe into groups and
> categories, look at what is redundent, look at the ratios. This seems more of
> a general mixologist approach rather than a cook's approach.

I disagree as it was designed to build upon foundations and then combine the
foundations.

>The cooking methods of loin steak that S. Dude was talking about you probably
>already knew as a "slow Q cooker" and probably added as a filler that would
>toughen up and would not braise away so I will not comment on that.

OK

Men and > Grilling meat we automatically know this right? 2. The other
suggestion is
> understand Sofrito is to Latin as Miripoix is to French, a subtle but
> important flavor thing.

Not really, if you look at the different cusines I think you'll find there are
substabtial differenced between Mexican, Puerto Rican & Cuban as well as many
other softito's. They are like philipine adobo everyone's grandmother or mother
has the original. LOL.

The French Mirepoix is by comparason finite.

Cuban sofrito:

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
2 bay leaves
2 tomatoes, chopped (optional)
3/4 cup canned tomato sauce
DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook
until onion is translucent. Add the bell pepper, and saute until tender. Season
with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and bay leaves. Continue cooking until the
mixture looks like a yummy green paste with oil around it. Stir in the tomatoes,
if using, and cook stirring until all of the liquid is released. Gradually stir
in the tomato sauce simmer until the sauce looks really red. Taste, and adjust
seasonings if desired. Remove bay leaves.
Now the sauce is done. You can add it to meat, rice, beans fish or potatoes.
Thin the sauce down if necessary with water, wine, beer, or whatever is handy.

Puerto Rico Sofrito;
Puerto Rican Recipes
( Recetas Puertoriqueñas )
Sofrito
Ingredientes:
Ingredients:
3 large green bell peppers
2 medium red bell peppers
40 - 60 stems of culantro
20 - 30 stems of recao
5 medium onions
4 heads of garlic
1 tbsp of salt

Procedimiento:
Get all the garlic cloves seperated from each other. Put into a container and
fill with water until the garlic cloves are fully covered. Set aside. This will
help peel the garlic easier later on. Wash the peppers, culantro, and recao.
Open the bell peppers and remove the stems and the seed from inside. Cut the
peppers into strips along the length about 1/4" wide. Set these items aside.
Peel the onions and cut into 4 to 8 pieces each. At this time remove the garlic
from the water and peel the garlic. Mix all the items in a blender or a food
processor, starting with the onions and the garlic, then adding peppers and the
culantro and recao. You might have to fill the blender more than once. Mix until
everything is pureed. Pour the contents of the mixture into a large container
and add the salt. Mix by hand until the salt is more or less evenly distributed.
Put a small amount of this mixture in a container in the refrigerator for
everyday use and store the rest in the freezer.

>Almost like understanding the "Red or Green" understanding thing you gained in
>your NM exposure. So small points.
>
> As to your comment on not using a "commercial chili powder". Just realize
> that Pico de Gallo seasoning mix is a commercial mixx and usually just cayenne
> chile powder in a salt( it is cheap and processed to be keep the mix free
> flowing) and spice mix of garlic and/or onion, sometimes a bit of Payapa
> extract. It may not be the red chili, garlic and cumin thing McCormicks you
> traditionally classify as a commerical chili powder, but it is exactly that.
> Combined with the beef boullion, dried onions, salts and MSG of the soup mix,
> you have to go back to comment 1, deconstruct and see what is redundent.

The reason not to use a "commercial powder" has more to do with the cumin than
anything else I am not saying they are bad just different.

> I do have another question. Isn't "NYC & Chicago local cuisine"

Of course however the difference in NYC to Chicago goes far beyond the crust of
the pizza and the condiments on the hot dog. Yes Gallagher's in NYC & Gean &
Georgetti's are both steak houses butthe difference is night and day.

<the Hot Dog? That is what the NY & Chi town Cops told me at the FBI National
> Academy. Just last week the Foodservice Newsletter stated that NY was largest
> consumer of the Frankfurter in the Nation. was Is there a definition or
> example of these two cuisines that you have that is different from theirs?

> All in all, you do have an interesting recipe, I will throw it in and the
> original version in my book to possibly try out this year.

if you do - add a 3rd mango.

> Thank you

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Onions, Carrots and Celery?
Onions, Garlic, Peppers and Tomatoes?
Think about it Dimirti

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
> Onions,

Root vegetaable
Carrots
Root vegetaable
and Celery?
Root vegetaable

> Onions,

Root vegetaable
Garlic,
Root vegetaable
Peppers
Fruit

and Tomatoes?
Fruit

> Think about it Dimirti

Your turn to think

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
t...

> "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
>> Onions,

> Root vegetaable
> Carrots
> Root vegetaable
> and Celery?
> Root vegetaable
>
>> Onions,

> Root vegetaable
> Garlic,
> Root vegetaable
> Peppers
> Fruit
>
> and Tomatoes?
> Fruit
>
>> Think about it Dimirti

> Your turn to think

Hahahaha, Yes I am thinking and I'm sure you know what that is right about
now.

You are actually serious about trying to pass this mirepoix and ragu thing
off as a chili, aren't you? Ok there Professor Di, Wish you all the best
with this ragu and mirepoix thing. I do support Fusion dishes but someone
already beat you to the title rights. Pasta or Rice as a side?
\
All kidding aside, do let me know when you find carrots and celery in
anything close to a SW chili, or a chile con carne type dish and please
let me know the finite portions of the chiles in your "dish" or even what
the chiles are in those cans you used. Meantime, don't waste 8 ozs of
tequila, well unless it is a Cuervo.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message

All kidding aside, do let me know when you find carrots and celery in
> anything close to a SW chili, or a chile con carne type dish and please let
> me know the finite portions of the chiles in your "dish" or even what the
> chiles are in those cans you used. Meantime, don't waste 8 ozs of tequila,
> well unless it is a Cuervo.

Without question if you believe the evolution of chili (layered meat & chilis
dried) there certainly is no mirepoix. Contrary to the popular belief the
purpose sauteing the root vegetables is not to carmelize the sugars but rather
to envoke the Maillard Reaction (see below). This produces a depth of flavor
that I believed was necessary to overcome the masking of the flavors by the
capsaicin. What I was looking for and believe I achieved was a burst of flavor
followed by the heat, and a strong after taste.

:-)

Dimitri

http://www.landfood.ubc.ca/courses/f...brown_prin.htm

Maillard reaction is a non-enzymatic browning reaction, caused by the
condensation of an amino group and a reducing compound, resulting complex
changes in biological and food system. This reaction was described for the first
time by Louis Maillard in 1912. Maillard reaction occurs when virtually all
foods are heated, and also occurs during storage. Most of the effect of Maillard
reaction, including the caramel aromas and golden brown colors, are desirable.
Nevertheless, some of the effect of Maillard reaction, including foods darkness
and off-flavor development, are undesirable.

Maillard Reaction Products

* Aroma and Flavor
Maillard-derived aromas are extremely complex and many components are formed in
trace amounts by side-reactions and obscure pathways. The deoxyosones are
considered to be primary source of aroma volatile compounds. Deoxyosones undergo
cyclization/dehydration to produce flavor important furan derivatives and
different types of furans are formed depending in osone structure.
The aroma profile also varies with the temperature and time of heating. At any
given temperature-time combination, a unique aroma, which is not likely to be
reproduced at any other combination of heating conditions, is produced.

The formation of a specific flavor may require the simultaneous generation of
100 or 200 individual chemicals in the proper concentration and delicate
balance. A large number and wide variety of flavor and aroma compounds are
formed via the Maillard reaction. Moreover, reactant composition, environment
and processing could influence the reaction.

* Color
The development of color is an extremely important feature of the Maillard
reaction but relatively little is known about the chemical nature of the
compounds responsible. There are both good and bad sides of the Maillard
reaction for color development. Color development in meats and bread baking is
desirable while the browning of dry milk or dehydrated products is undesirable.