Posted to alt.food.asian
MB[_1_] MB[_1_] is offline

Default white rice cakes

On 2/4/07 12:18 AM, in article
, "lyle"
> wrote:

> Hey everybody I was hoping someone could help. I bought white rice
> cakes in a package in the noodles section of an Asian grocery. I have
> had stir fried rice cakes before (live in queens, ny)so I assume they
> are the same. Problem is the directions are in Chinese. I tried
> boiling them and stir frying them but they didn't puff up and i didnt
> so how long. I cant fry them directly as they are hard as a rock.
> Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Lyle

There are many kinds of rice cakes, but as you mention that package
directions in Chinese I reckon that they are Chinese rice cakes.
If what you are trying to reach is to puff up the rice cakes, fry(deep) them
in vegetable oil first then drain in colander and add to your favourite stir
fry dish. Otherwise cook them in your favourite soup.
Fujian province is famous for its rice cake dishes.

Korean and Japanese rice cake dishes are great too.
But as they are not the same type of rice you need to prepare them in
different ways.

happy new year!!! rice cake is a happy new year stuff

MB