Posted to alt.food.asian

Default white rice cakes

Hey everybody I was hoping someone could help. I bought white rice
cakes in a package in the noodles section of an Asian grocery. I have
had stir fried rice cakes before (live in queens, ny)so I assume they
are the same. Problem is the directions are in Chinese. I tried
boiling them and stir frying them but they didn't puff up and i didnt
so how long. I cant fry them directly as they are hard as a rock.
Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Lyle

Posted to alt.food.asian

lyle wrote:
> Hey everybody I was hoping someone could help. I bought white rice
> cakes in a package in the noodles section of an Asian grocery. I have
> had stir fried rice cakes before (live in queens, ny)so I assume they
> are the same. Problem is the directions are in Chinese. I tried
> boiling them and stir frying them but they didn't puff up and i didnt
> so how long. I cant fry them directly as they are hard as a rock.
> Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Lyle

i think i know these 'rice cakes' you're talking
about. years ago i asked about them [here] and
people thought i was pulling their leg or something.
i chucked them all. they're no 'cakes'! indeed
they're hard as a rock, and they're tasteless.
what the hell is this thing anyway?

i want to know where in China these 'rocks' are from
and how they eat them. going to China for the
second time in 3 weeks and i really don't want to
have to go to the town where they make them to find
out.

cheers
Posted to alt.food.asian

Saudades d(-_-)b wrote:
> lyle wrote:
>
>> Hey everybody I was hoping someone could help. I bought white rice
>> cakes in a package in the noodles section of an Asian grocery. I have
>> had stir fried rice cakes before (live in queens, ny)so I assume they
>> are the same. Problem is the directions are in Chinese. I tried
>> boiling them and stir frying them but they didn't puff up and i didnt
>> so how long. I cant fry them directly as they are hard as a rock.
>> Anyone have any experience with this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Lyle
>>

> i think i know these 'rice cakes' you're talking about. years ago i
> asked about them [here] and people thought i was pulling their leg or
> something. i chucked them all. they're no 'cakes'! indeed they're
> hard as a rock, and they're tasteless. what the hell is this thing anyway?
>
> i want to know where in China these 'rocks' are from and how they eat
> them. going to China for the second time in 3 weeks and i really don't
> want to have to go to the town where they make them to find out.

Only rice cakes I've seen are Korean rice cake spicy appetizer.
Its usually a hot spicy dish with scallions and peppers. Same?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

Dan Logcher wrote:

> Only rice cakes I've seen are Korean rice cake spicy appetizer.
> Its usually a hot spicy dish with scallions and peppers. Same?

no these things are not like Korean rice cakes you
describe. they come in a stack or two and are
square in shape, in a very tight vacuum seal
package, with an all chinese script red label.
they're hard as a rock. i tried steaming for a
while but nothing happened, then i tried boiling.
still nothing. and if i remember it correctly it
emitted a not very pleasant smelt during cooking
[like glue?]. well it cost only 50 pence, i'm just
gutted i don't know what they're for.

i know someone who used to frequent here, he might
know something as he can read chinese script. i'll
post a follow up when i find out.

Posted to alt.food.asian

Saudades d(-_-)b wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>> Only rice cakes I've seen are Korean rice cake spicy appetizer.
>> Its usually a hot spicy dish with scallions and peppers. Same?
>>

> no these things are not like Korean rice cakes you describe. they come
> in a stack or two and are square in shape, in a very tight vacuum seal
> package, with an all chinese script red label. they're hard as a rock.
> i tried steaming for a while but nothing happened, then i tried boiling.
> still nothing. and if i remember it correctly it emitted a not very
> pleasant smelt during cooking [like glue?]. well it cost only 50 pence,
> i'm just gutted i don't know what they're for.

Sounds very similar to the Korean rice as I've seen it in the stores. They come
vacuumed sealed and are hard as a rock. I never prepared them at home though.

I wonder what you're using.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

I believe the rice cakes in question are shown in
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...d/ricecake.jpg and
http://www.cristine.net/log/archives/001088.html

They are usually served in China as a soup noodle and stirfried in
Korean cooking.

To cook, one should soak them in warm water for 20 minutes or so - I
toss them with a little oil to prevent sticking - or boil for 5-10
minutes.

While they are chewy, they should not be hard. The texture is not
unlike a thick chow fun noodle. They definitely should not give off a
strong smell since they are only made of glutinous rice and water.

I have seen them most often in football or oval shapes and
occasionally as triangles.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Posted to alt.food.asian

Cape Cod Bob wrote:
> I believe the rice cakes in question are shown in
> http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...d/ricecake.jpg and
> http://www.cristine.net/log/archives/001088.html
>
> They are usually served in China as a soup noodle and stirfried in
> Korean cooking.
>
> To cook, one should soak them in warm water for 20 minutes or so - I
> toss them with a little oil to prevent sticking - or boil for 5-10
> minutes.
>
> While they are chewy, they should not be hard. The texture is not
> unlike a thick chow fun noodle. They definitely should not give off a
> strong smell since they are only made of glutinous rice and water.
>
> I have seen them most often in football or oval shapes and
> occasionally as triangles.

That's what I think of when he said rice cakes.. I've seen the slices
and cylinders. They are rock hard and vacuumed sealed in the package.
When I've had them prepared they are soft and a little chewy.

--
Dan