Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Lidia's Italy Episode 221

"Piedmont" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Piedmont" > wrote

>>> 01. Salad with marinated mackerel, red onion, bruschetta and beans.
>>>
>>> 02. Spahhetti with sauce.
>>>
>>> 03. Marinated mackerel or sardines.

>> I have the book. Here are 3 recipe titles that seem to
>> be what you are looking for (I haven't looked for the
>> spaghetti with sauce recipe yet):
>>
>> Mackerel cured in olive oil - sgombri sott'olio

8 mackerel fillets
juice of 2 lemons (1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil

Lay the mackerel in a single layer in a 12 inch skillet,
preferably stainless steel. Pour 2 cups or more water and the
lemon juice to cover fillets. Sprinkle half the peppercorns and
1 teaspoon of the salt over them.

Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a slow rolling boil.
Turn down the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.

Prop up a large wooden cutting board at a moderate angle,
tipping towards sink. Drain the fillets and cool completely.

Arrange the fillets in a shallow dish, one layer or two. Sprinkle
each layer with the remaining peppercorns and salt. Cover
with olive oil.

Marinate 2 to 3 hours unrefrigerated for same day use, or cover
and store in the refrigerator for a month.

>> Marinated mackerel and red onion salad

6 fillets of cured mackerel (above)
2 tablespoons of the curing oil
1 medium bermuda onion, thinly sliced
and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
salt to taste

Break up the mackerel into bite sized pieces
and toss with remaining ingredients.

>> Bruschetta of cured mackerel and beans

4 fillets of cured mackerel (above)
2 cups canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
18 thin slices red onion
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
4 large or 8 smaller slices country bread, grilled
and brushed with olive oil

Lightly mash the beans and mackerel together, toss with
remaining ingredients and serve on the warm bread.

> There was also a spaghetti recipe also that had roasted red peppers,
> chopped olives, garlic that was browned, this one too if you would please
> be so kind!

I will look for this and let you know when I find it.

> Thank you Kindly!

You're so welcome.

nancy