Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark D Mark D is offline

Default Weekend survey on the RFC site: Food allergies

I've had an allergy to certain nuts my entire life. Found out when I was
4 at the Thanksgiving Table, when they rushed me to the Hospital.

I'm now 52, and in my case, the severity never lessened as the years
went by.

In my case, I think I'm sort of odd, in that I absolutely cannot eat
Peanuts, Cashews, or Brazil Nuts, but yet can eat Pecans, Walnuts,
Hazelnuts, Pistachio, Almonds, Macadamia.

I have the most severe reaction to Brazil, yet I'm not so hypersensitive
that I get a reaction of somebody is eating them next to me. I do get a
bit queasy though when I smell them. I will react with Hives though
just with the touch of a Brazil Nut Shell, and then touch my face.

With Brazils, within 3-4 hours, I'm a dead man without an injection of
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

Last mishap was about 10 years ago, eating a Birthday Cake, where I
spent the following 8 hours in a Hospital Emergency room. I had
remnants of that reaction a full week later, with Puffy swollen Eyes,
and face.

My tongue swells up, cannot swallow, severe itching/hives where I'll
literally claw myself till I bleed, eyes swell shut, labored breathing,
and very severe overall discomfort. Hives on my entire body when
ingesting.

I always have to ask about cookies, cakes, pastries, and always check
questionable candy bars first.

I've been fooled over the years with a few candy bars like Zero,
$100,000, and the like which at one time in thier history used Pecans,
and then either switched to Cashews, or some other nut that I was
allergic to. Mark