Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Default Weekend survey on the RFC site: Food allergies

Serene wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:16:57 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> One of my partners is allergic to strawberries, but we don't live
> together, so it's not a huge issue.

One of my partners? Oooh you lucky girl! ;D

Strawberry allergy would be a major bummer. I'm not sure I could deal
with that.

>Other than that, we have some
> sensitivities in the family, but no true food allergies. I'm
> sensitive to milk (even lactose-free milk), but I don't obsess about
> it -- if there's milk in something and I get a little sick, it's not
> my host's problem, it's mine. I've gotten pretty good at guessing
> which foods will cause me the most trouble, and I avoid them, but I do
> it without making a production of it.
>
> (Then again, I have really strong feelings about not insulting
> people's hospitality by making my food issues their problem -- if I
> were truly allergic to something (like if it was going to land me in
> the hospital), I'd bring it up, but my food choices are no one's
> responsibility but my own.)

I agree. We try to let people know just so we don't have any
incidents (DS is only 3) but I take full responsibility for protecting
him from his allergens.

-L.