Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit Karen AKA Kajikit is offline

Default Weekend survey on the RFC site: Food allergies

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:16:57 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

DH is deathly allergic to shellfish and crustaceans... one time he had
a major reaction because they'd been frying a ton of seafood in the
same vat as the frenchfries... but it doesn't stop us from eating out
- we just don't go to Seafood restaurants, Japanese or Thai places
(shame, because I love Thai food, but he had a bad reaction to fish
sauce and it's ubiquitous.) The major limitation it puts on us is that
I won't order any kind of seafood dish in case it has something he's
allergic to in it. I'm longing to go to yum-cha, but I don't really
want to risk the seafood exposure from the 'mystery dishes' they tend
to serve...

I'm lactose-intolerant but that's not a major problem, so unless you
invited me to Joe's House of Dairy it wouldn't keep me away (and if
you told me they had worldclass icecream I'd go anyway and just suffer
at home later...)

So the short answer is no, it won't stop us going out to eat, but it
might make us think twice about WHERE to go...