Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kane John Kane is offline

Default Substitutes for Mushrooms?

On Jan 26, 11:52 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>
> > Why deprive the mushroom lovers? I'd just let them pick 'em out.
> > Some people are too fussy for their own good.I may have told this story before, about a former coworker who came to work

> one night in a foul mood. His son worked with us too and spilled the beans
> about why the old man was in such a snit. It seems that he wife had made
> Beef Stroganoff for dinner that night. When he went back for his fourth
> helping, the son tossed a couple of mushrooms on his plate and said "Here,
> if you like mushrooms so much have some of mine". Mort flipped out. He
> hates mushrooms. He was angry with his wife for serving him mushrooms
> because she knows he hates them. That didn't stop him for having three
> helpings and going back for another.
>
> My younger brother used to hate shrimp. I don't think he would even give a
> try. One evening we went out for Chinese food with some friends and came
> back with leftovers. He opened up one box and told me I had to try it. It
> was the most delicious thing he had ever had in his life...... deep fried
> shrimp.

My father used to tell the story of the neighbour 'Bob" who hated
venison. One day at thrashing (old farm term) the farmer's wife served
a lovely venision roast. After dinner Bob commented on how good that
roast beef was. Dad mentioned that it was venison and Bob promptly
wandered off and was sick. Weird.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada