Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default silly question

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Melondy wrote:
>
> > This is how I have always understood the terms. It's more a definition
> > of temperature and method than amount of fat in the pan. I've noticed
> > however, in the last few years how correct terms have disappeared from
> > recipes in books, magazines, Internet and tv show recipes. Now they just
> > say what size pan or pot and use the distinct term "cook" the food. I
> > guess it's a total dumbdown for the newbie cooks but sure isn't very
> > exact or educational.
> >
> > Hope you don't mind my butting in for a minute or two.
> >
> > Melondy

> It is exactly a total dumbdown for inexperienced cooks. I had an
> interesting conversation about it with the former editor of the local
> rag's food section. I hadn't noticed it (because I don't read cookbooks
> the way she still does) but she pointed out how method instructions have
> changed. "They don't teach how to cream butter and sugar in Home Ec
> classes any more. If you can find a Home Ec class."

What dumbdown... most cookbooks are dumb, always have been, always will
be... anyone can write a cookbook, even those who don't cook, which is
why there are so darned many produced. And there are no more Home Ec
classes because they were sexist... I'm suprised at you.

> I like your explanations, Melondy.

Her explanations are stupid, all of them.

>Thanks for coming forth. Since you
> have, I'm curious about something. You can email me if you wish. Why
> do you lurk and not post? What do you get from the group? No insults
> or anything -- just curiosity. Thanks. :-)

It's obvious to me why she lurks, same reason all lurkers lurk,
cowardice.

Sheldon