Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Crushed tomatoes/whole canned tomatoes

"biig" > schreef in bericht ...

> I made a pot of the Beef Barley Soup that was posted here last week.
> I didn't have whole canned tomatoes, so substituted a can of crushed.
> The soup was waaaay too tomatoey. Is there that much difference in the
> tomato content? I added more beef broth and lots of sliced cabbage and
> that helped, but it still had too much tomato flavour for my taste.
> Anyone??
>
> Thanks......Sharon

In my part of the world, those 2 kinds of canned tomatoes ARE different. The
calorie count is different (crushed is higher), which leads me to suspect
there's less juice and more solids in a can of crushed tomatoes.

Even moreso with sieved/pureed tomatoes from those tetrapaks.